Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Pizza Party

We had a pizza party tonight! Well, it wasn't really a party because there was just me & Steve. And I was acting kind of cranky over something that had happened earlier in the evening. But we did have pizza. It was homemade BBQ chicken pizza with the kind of thin, crispy-crackly crust that I'd been trying to create for a while. After testing different recipes, I'm happy to report that I've finally found THE ONE...so I wanted to share it with you.

The author suggests using high gluten flour from King Arthur Flour, which I already had on hand. (Yes, I have a pretty well stocked kitchen, LOL. Seriously, though, King Arthur has great products. Along with Penzeys Spices, they're the only places from which I actually order food items via mail. Otherwise, I rely on my local grocery store.) Alternatively, he says, you can use bread flour.

His recipe calls for 3/4 c. warm water, but I needed to use about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups in order for the dough to form a ball. Other than that, I followed the instructions as written. Twenty-four hours later, I had a lovely unbaked crust:


Instead of using the pizza sauce on his site, I made my favorite BBQ sauce from Allrecipes.com and spread it thinly on the crust after I'd pre-baked it for 4 minutes on a Pampered Chef baking stone:


Then I added sauteed chicken slices, shredded smoked gouda cheese, and shredded mozzarella on top, and I baked it for about 10 more minutes at 500 degrees F.


California Pizza Kitchen and Trader Joe's both make frozen versions of BBQ Chicken Pizza that are darn good and certainly more convenient to prepare. But there's something about making it yourself from scratch that is just so rewarding. Try it, and I think you'll see what I mean! :-)

4 comments:

Kerry D-C said...

mmmmmmm.....mmmmmmmmmmmmm! you are always cookin' up scrumptious looking things!

RustyBird said...

Jackie,

Do you follow the King Arthur Flour blog, Bakers' Banter? They recently had a post featuring their No-Knead Pizza Crust. I tried it, and it turned out very well! I highly recommend it. Even my hubby said it was the best pizza crust I've ever made. So the recipe is a keeper.

And if you like to cook, or just read about cooking, their blog is great. They just did one about Pizelle cookies, and I might just have to buy a pizelle iron from their website. I've purchased from them several times, with good experience. I'm like you, and don't usually buy food items over the intenet, but they have a lot of those hard-to-find pantry items like vanilla bean paste and specialty flours.

Keri Lee Sereika said...

MMM that looks delicious! I totally forgot to email you my recipe for pizza dough...remind me will you? :)

K

Jackie Lewis said...

I'll have to try that recipe, RustyBird, and thanks for the tip about their blog. I agree, the vanilla paste is wonderful. I want to try the Fiori Di Sicilia next...it sounds so enticing!

LOL, Kerry, you crack me up. You could come join me for dinner at home sometime. If you didn't live so doggone far away, that is! :-P

I need that one, Ker. Actually, wanna just send me your whole recipe box? ;-) Oh, wait...it's all in your HEAD!