Sunday, February 1, 2009

Got Oil?

Steve gave me a Presto Cool Daddy for Christmas, and we decided to try it out by having Deep Fry Night. Yeah, I know it's not very healthy, but sometimes you just have to go a little crazy and say heck with the calories! So I made a plethora of crispy treats. Here was our golden brown dinner in all its monochromatic glory:


Where were the vegetables? Nope, I figured what was the point of that! (I suppose ketchup doesn't count, huh?) The onion rings turned out tasty but a little greasy, although the french fries and waffle chips were pretty good. The chicken nuggets, however, were the real winner and we both gobbled them up:

Homemade Chicken Nuggets
3-4 chicken breasts
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 bottle of beer
peanut oil for frying

Cut chicken into 3/4" cubes, pat dry, and set aside. Preheat oil in a deep fryer set at 375 degrees or a large skillet over medium high heat. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and gradually stir in beer until mixture can be drizzled from a spoon. Drop about a third of the chicken pieces into the batter, remove with tongs, and place in the hot oil so they are not touching at first or they'll clump together. Fry for a few minutes, until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels, and repeat with remaining chicken.

* * *
These were so yummy, I'd definitely make them again...but maybe not for a couple of months. A little Deep Fry Night goes a long way.

We had Rolaids for dessert.

7 comments:

Jackie said...

Try making donuts - you will love them! I haven't had one of those for years but my kids loved the donuts I made in it. Not low calorie, for sure, but a nice treat now and again.

Jackie Lewis said...

Good idea, Jackie. I'd like to try funnel cakes, too. Steve also mentioned donuts last night...hmm, now the hardest decision: cake or yeasted variety? Maybe both! Do I hear Deep Fry Dessert Night calling? ;-)

~Michelle~ said...

oooh...the chicken sounds yummy!
As for the doughnuts....no question...cake variety!! LOL! ;)

Kerry D-C said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! You are killing me! I love freshly battered onion rings! and now you are talking about funnel cakes too! Can I please please please come?! LOL!

Keri Lee Sereika said...

bwaaahahhaa ROLAIDS FOR DESSERT!!! HAHAHHA

Keri Lee Sereika said...

Oh and PS, call me when you get a moment will you?

Karen said...

now this is my type of dinner!! LOL - rolaids...should have a 'spew alert' for that!! :)