Saturday, April 4, 2009

What's For Dinner?

Tonight Steve's brother and sister-in-law, Chad and Amy, are having dinner with us. I'm making a selection of tried-and-true recipes to create what we've fondly come to refer to as Asian Feast. Once in a while I might rotate in or out a particular dish, but for the most part these are the usual players:

Thai-Style Steamed Dumplings with Cilantro Dipping Sauce
Mongolian Beef (with 1 T. soy sauce added at end)
Peanut Chicken (with 1 T. hoisin added and 3 T. chunky peanut butter instead of peanuts)
Sweet & Spicy Green Beans (with 1 T. rice vinegar and 1 t. fresh minced ginger added)
Napa Cabbage Salad
Sesame Noodles
Sticky Rice
Almond Cookies (with butter instead of lard)

They'll be arriving around 6:00, so I'm going to get started shortly. But first I wanted to ask, "What are YOU are having for dinner?" Let me know in the comments section of this post. And just for kicks, we'll throw in this blog candy prize:



I'll take entries until tomorrow, April 5th, at midnight Central time. I will randomly choose the winner on Monday morning, who gets the Recipe Clear Stamp Set shown above.

As usual, be sure to add your name if you post anonymously (in other words, without signing in) or we won't be able to include you in our drawing. It will be the winners' responsibility to contact me via email no later than April 10th. If I don't hear from the winner, I won't be re-drawing; please remember to come back and check by the deadline.

Good luck, everyone, and bon appetit!

14 comments:

Jane said...

Ahh, dinner. We are having homemade minestrone with crusty artisan-type whole wheat bread I made yesterday. But your dinner sounds heavenly!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

well, we call it supper, we've already had
"dinner" Ü

What we are having depends on whether we still have power. We are about to be hit with snow and the wind is already up to 30-40 mph.

I made brownies, bread, cookies, muffins etc in case we do lose power. If the electricity stays on we are having spaghetti and garlic bread (with the French bread I made this morning) and brownie sundaes for the guys for dessert (I won't be able to sleep if I eat that at nite).

I already have this set, but wanted to pop in and say hi. Ü

Have fun tonite!

carpediem said...

Your dinner sounds delish! I definitely want to try the almond cookie recipe! I had sweet potatoe fries, salad and chicken with a wine sauce for dinner tonight! Thanks for offering the giveaway! laura j

K_dubzzz said...

I think you should come over and cook us dinner and let me watch! It sounds so fabulous and yummy.
Tonight we are having roast with potatoes and veggies. It's going to be tasty.

Jenny McGee said...

Well I took out chicken to make, but it was not defrosted in time. so, we had a quick and easy, spaghetti and meatballs. Thanks for the opportunity to win. Jenny M.

Gabriela (Gabi With An Eye) said...

Your Asian Feast sounds perfectly delectible. My husband does the cooking and tonight he started us with a bruschetta with a fresh tapenade, then he served a baked lemon rosemary chicken that he marinated in white wine and lemon juice. On the side, there was a medley of sliced yellow crook neck and zucchini squash sauteed in clarified butter with sea salt and freshly grated Asiago cheese. A Greek salad with kalamata olives, crumbled feta and fresh Roma tomatoes. The starch was a bit of spaghettini with browned butter and grated Mizithra. Oh, and some San Francisco sourdough, freshly sliced and heated in the oven, thick, warm, and oh so marvelous. We sure could go for some of your almond cookies right about now, though.

Jodi said...

With 4 younger kids, we always seem to have an assorment of dinners. Tonight was nothing exciting, and had to be quick since we had been out all afternoon. Two of us had taco's, 2 had hot dogs, 1 had a cheeseburger and 1 had bread butter and honey. We all had strawberries as well and the kids had sherbert (2 of them) and cookies and cream ice cream (the other 2) for desert.

Thanks for the chance to win this new set :)

Tami said...

I had hamburger helper- it was actually quite yummy (and I hadn't had it for a while).

RustyBird said...

Dinner tonight was chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, cream gravy, green beans, and just-picked-this-morning strawberries.

QC said...

My wonderful hubby made (homemade) italian sausages, mashed potatoes and steamed veggies......along with a nice big salad! :)

Dessert was going to be my homemade lime sherbet....but we were both too stuffed from supper! :)

Thanks for a chance to win!

Theresa Grdian said...

Funny you should mention Asian food!! I am having a weight watchers Beef and Broccoli dish. It is beyond wonderful! I like to serve it over brown rice. yum!!!

Michelle said...

Your dinner sounds yummy! I'm making a spice thai chicken recipe tonight. :)

~Michelle~ said...

I'm too late for the contest...but your dinner sounds delish....wish I was related!! :)
We're having a crockpot dish with chicken, potatoes, carrots and sauerkraut! YUM!

The Hatch Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.