Sunday, May 24, 2009

Here Again

Oh dear, I cannot believe it's been so long since I've done a blog entry. I didn't mean to ignore you, Inky readers. We got back from the Maryland show on Monday evening, I blinked, and already it's Sunday. Eek!

Yesterday I hosted a make & take event at We're Stampin' Mad in Osseo. Even though it was a holiday weekend (which didn't even occur to me or Jackie when we originally scheduled this date), we had a nice turnout. It was great to see so many familiar faces and meet some new ladies, as well.

Here's the card we made, featuring 10410F Piggy and 0397D Sow's Going:


The concept is identical to the clear card I made a few weeks ago. I like how we added a sparkly crystal to the center of 3481A Little Daisy:


It's pretty tiny...can you see it in the photo? Once I got home, I put it into a clear envelope and wrote the address on an oval piece that I positioned over the oval on the card front. Now the ovals are all lined up to create a clever "triple layer":


Incidentally, I was wondering about whether extra postage would be required on a clear envelope. The short (and unfortunately somewhat unsatisfying) answer is "maybe." Apparently sometimes it goes through without problems, and other times this type of letter has to be hand-canceled and therefore is subject to a nonmachinable surcharge. (Although the criteria for nonmachinable letters doesn't specifically mention anything about non-paper envelopes, some post offices will charge the extra 20 cents and others won't. In fact, it may even depend on which postal employee you ask at the same post office.)

So, if you're just dropping your card into the mail, I guess it depends on how lucky you feel whether you want to put on the regular first class 44-cent stamp or go ahead and pony up the additional fee, even if it may not be necessary.

But here's one thing you can do that won't cost you a penny: Let me know in the comments section of this post how you're celebrating Memorial Day, which will be your entry for a quick round of blog candy to win a pack of our new Clear Cardstock. Entries will be accepted until tomorrow, May 25th, at midnight Central time. One entry per person, with U.S. citizens only for this particular giveaway. I will randomly choose the winner on Tuesday and let you know here.

Please be sure to add your name if you post anonymously (in other words, without signing in) or we won't be able to include you in our drawing. It will be the winners' responsibility to contact me via email no later than May 28th. If I don't hear from the winner, I won't be re-drawing; please remember to come back and check by the deadline.

Good luck, and happy holiday weekend!

7 comments:

Gabriela said...

I love love love the clear envelope and acetate card! What fun! I'v experienced the same dilemma and differences from one post office to another. Now that I know which post office charges extra, I avoid it, but it's a pain because the "careless" post office is clear across town. Can't win for losing.

Amy said...

Thanks for the advice on postage. Odd how inconsistent things are sometimes...

I'm loving the card, though. And the clear cardstock looks super sturdy, too. How cool is that?!? I've been using transparencies from the office supply store for my cards and they are just a bit too flimsy to really work for card bases. So glad to know there is a better alternative!

stacie said...

Clear cardstock?? How cool is that. This weekend I have to work since I manage a couple of theatres and we are open 24/7...you are all welcome : ) But we do spend as much family time we have together since memorial day makes you think of all the freedoms we have and how some families are missing members so that we can have that freedom.

Anonymous said...

I spent the weekend getting my plants in the garden and working on another batch of cards to send to Cards for Heroes.I have most of them done and will pop the package into the mail.It makes a person feel so good to kmow the cards will be going to such special people.

cndomino@yahoo.com

Chelsea said...

love that card and envie ... beautiful and very creative!

Kathy said...

That little pig is so cute - I have a friend that would love this card! I agree about the postage thing - depends on which postal worker you get! I spent my weekend planting flowers and visiting the Card for Heroes blog hop - it was amazing!

Clear Cards said...

I appricate your work and i love to see nice work. Here i found some nice work done by your. So keep adding some more clear cardstock.