Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Creative Card Storage

Looking for a handy way to keep track of important card-sending dates and store greetings as you make them up ahead of time? This card organizer might just be the ticket:


There are "pocket pages" inside to hold each month's cards, along with a list of dates so you can write down birthdays, anniversaries, and other upcoming occasions:


Start by scoring a 12" x 12" sheet of cardstock at the 6" mark. (I used my Scor-It Board to do this.) Turn the sheet ninety degrees, and score again at the 4 1/4" mark. Repeat for five more sheets so that each sheet looks like this:


Fold up the short side from the bottom, and then fold the whole sheet in half to create pockets on the outsides:


With the CarlaCraft Binding System, punch holes along the left pocket half:


Now punch your holes on the right pocket half:


If you've never used the CarlaCraft Binding System, it's really easy to learn. (And I do mean easy!) There's a video in the middle of this page showing how to use it.

Repeat the folding and punching steps for the remaining 12" x 12" scored sheets. Then punch two 6" x 7 3/4" pieces for your covers. Insert an 18mm coil, trim it flush with the spine, and use a needle-nosed pliers to turn under the ends. Your card organizer will look like this:


Set your printer to "landscape" mode, and print out the monthly lists .PDF file. Closely trim each monthly list, and adhere lists to the pocket outsides.

I decorated the front of my card organizer with 1343J Mailbird and 1340B Got Mail. The patterned paper is PA1318 Flowers by Darcie's, and I used the Fiskars Threading Water Border Punch to make the scalloped teal border.

Ta da...your very own personalized card organizer is now ready for service!

4 comments:

Karen said...

I need to break down and make one of these! Every time I see one - I try to remember that I want to, but usually forget. Maybe I'll even crack out my Bind-it All for this!

Kathy said...

So cute - I really like this. Think this will be my project to make with my Mom and Sister when they come for the Cincinnati stamp convention in August.

Jackie Lewis said...

Hope you decide to go ahead and make them, Karen and Kathy. Please let me know if you do...I'd love to see your projects! :-)

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

How did I miss this post! Very cool! I made some of these a long time ago, but with the comb binding. The coil would be soooo much better!