Thursday, June 18, 2009

Down South Supper

I hadn't been very ambitious when it came to cooking recently, so today I jumped back into the kitchen with both feet:


This evening's dinner was a good ol' homecooked Southern-style meal...well, as least as close as this Yankee can get! We had honey-dijon glazed ham, collard greens, yeast biscuits, and au gratin potatoes. The spuds were compliments of Betty Crocker, but everything else was from scratch.

I'd never made biscuits before and they turned out a little squat, but they tasted okay. I may need to invest in a round tin cutter, though, because my plastic measuring cup seemed to smash down the dough circles.

There was a vendor at the Minneapolis Farmers Market last Sunday whose uncle grows the greens in Louisiana, so I picked up a couple of bunches. This was another experiment for me. I'd eaten collard greens before (my first time was at Mary Mac's Tea Room in Atlanta, actually, which is a wonderful restaurant that I'd highly recommend) but had never prepared them myself. They turned out really good, and I would definitely make them again.

Steve's favorite part wasn't dinner itself (although he said he could easily have eaten another plateful) but rather dessert, which was strawberry rhubarb coffee cake:


We ate it with vanilla ice cream, and then I asked Steve to deliver a third of the cake to his parents and another third to his sister. (We had to keep some of the leftovers for ourselves, after all, but there's no way I wanted the entire rest of that cake sitting around here and calling my name!) Here's the recipe, in case you'd like to try it:

Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake

Filling:
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup water
2 cups chopped rhubarb
1 pound strawberries, sliced
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Cake:
3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cold butter
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cold butter

Combine sugar and cornstarch in a large saucepan; add water and stir well. Stir in rhubarb and strawberries, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until thickened, about two minutes. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice, and let cool.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan.

Combine 3 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat together eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla in a separate bowl. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until just moistened. Spoon two-thirds of the batter into prepared pan; evenly spread on the cooked filling, and then cover with remaining batter.

In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup flour. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle over the batter. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

* * *

Hope y'all have a great evening!

3 comments:

~Michelle~ said...

oh, my yummness...that dessert just looks awesome! (not that your meal didn't! LOL!)
I have rhubarb and strawberries are coming in soon...I may just have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing! :)

Jackie Cole said...

Jackie it looks yummy, all my favorites,
Thanks for sharing! from Texas
Jackie C.

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

Yummy! I am going to try your dessert. We have rhubarb and strawberries are just turning red.

Tip for cutting biscuits...use a jar. Just spray the open edge with cooking spray and cut the biscuit dough. I don't have a biscuit cutter either and have been using a jar for years. Ü