Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Shake It Up

Recently I received an email from a customer who was curious about the Nestabilities dies (she specifically referred to the Labels One set) and how they worked. This was my response to her:

"The Nestabilities dies by Spellbinders are designed to be used with a die-cutting system, such as the Cuttlebug, Wizard, Big Shot, etc. (ie, they cannot be used just by themselves). Each die has a smooth side and a ridged side, and the ridged side is placed against your cardstock to do the cutting. You sandwich them between the plates that come with your die-cutting machine and run them through the machine to cut. Then you run them through again but with a slightly different plate configuration if you want to dry emboss the shape you just cut out.

Here's a YouTube video that shows the process. I didn't create the video, but it does a nice job of demonstrating the product. And this is a project I made using the Labels One dies.

A set of Nestabilities is initially more expensive than a regular paper punch, but it's a better value in the long run because you get several dies in each set that contain the same shape in graduated sizes. After cutting out (and embossing, if you wish) your shapes, you can layer them as shown in the Hiya Cookie box project. I use the Nestabilities with my Cuttlebug all the time (in fact, I pulled them out today to make some booth samples for this weekend's convention), and I absolutely love them!"

The customer wrote back to thank me for my reply and then added this:

"The difference though is that I want to use the shapes and die-cut machine to make a window in the card (so I would be discarding the punched out shape). Does the cut look neat on the piece of card that the shape has been cut from? And do you think that you could go ahead and do the dry emboss the same way?"

I knew the answer to that one immediately! But I wanted to take a couple of photos to show what I meant, and her letter inspired me to create a shaker card project featuring a window made with the Nestabilities. So I started by using a die from the Labels Two set to cut out my window. This is what my "sandwich" looked like before I added the C plate on top and ran it through the Cuttlebug:


After I removed the C plate, I re-layered my "sandwich" to add 3 sheets of cardstock as a shim underneath the pink paper. I turned around the order of my die and pink paper so the die was under the paper this time. My new "sandwich" looked like this before I gently laid a tan embossing mat and second B plate on top, so as not to disturb the placement of my die:


Next, I stamped 10852E Cup of Tea in the middle of a piece of white cardstock and colored it. I placed my pink piece on top to center the image in the frame, and I marked the corners so I'd know where to cut the white cardstock:


I turned the pink piece to the "wrong" side and applied adhesive around the frame area:


After the above photo was taken, I put down a piece of clear cardstock (also known as acetate) to create a window and then set aside my pink piece.

Next I took the white stamped card, where I placed foam tape around the outer edges. I also added foam tape across the middle to make my shaker window smaller than the entire length of the card. I was careful to "butt up" the ends of the tape so they met without any gaps in between. (I didn't want my beads to escape!) I poured my beads into the center of the upper foam taped area, and here's what it looked like at this point:


After carefully peeling the release strips from the foam tape (those little beads can sometimes jump up and stick to the foam tape, which I didn't want to happen), I placed my pink panel on top of the white card while making sure to center it:


A piece of PA809 Bright Stripes paper from Darcie's and some white grosgrain ribbon provided the finishing touches:


And getting back to the customer's original question about the die-cut frame? This close-up shows it all (click on the photo for an enlarged version):


Thanks, Nikala, for asking about the Nestabilities. Hope this helps!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I have been curious about the Nestabitities too! Thanks so much for the post and the great project. Now I've added one more item to my ever-increasing wishlist! ;)

leslie said...

I have an embarrassingly large collection of Nestabilities, and I have always wanted to do this window, but could never figure out the embossing part. THANKS!

Jackie Lewis said...

You're welcome, Jessica. Aren't wishlists fun to create? :-) Leslie, the first part of your note made me laugh. No embarrassment needed...once you start, don't you just have to collect them all, LOL! Glad you both found the post informative, and thanks so much for reading and commenting.

Beverly said...

Jackie, Hi its Beverly with Magenta...I heard about something and hoping you will be able to help me with this mystery.Gamsol and Copic markers working together? Do you know , now I want to know.
I knew that if anyone could help me it would be you.