Sunday, July 5, 2009

Wink, Wink!

Hope you had a terrific holiday weekend! Yesterday we had Steve's parents, his younger sister, and her family over for a cookout. Steve grilled the burgers, brats, hot dogs (for the kids), and corn on the cob. We had store-bought potato salad, but I made coleslaw and brownies from scratch. I had some extra time, so I decided to whip up a batch of cookies, too:


A few weeks ago, I'd printed out a recipe for Cherry Winks on Allrecipes.com. They turned out really yummy, so I thought I'd share the recipe with you:

Cherry Winks

3/4 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
1/3 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
2 1/2 cups crushed corn flakes cereal
10 maraschino cherries, quartered

Preheat over to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheets.

Cream the shortening with the sugar. Blend in the eggs, milk, and vanilla.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, and stir well. Add the chopped pecans, chopped dates, and 1/3 cup maraschino cherries.

Shape teaspoonful-sized chunks of dough into balls. Roll each ball in the crushed corn flakes. Place balls on the prepared baking sheets, and top each cookie with 1/4 maraschino cherry.

Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack, and store in airtight container.

Note: I substituted butter for the shortening and toasted coconut for the pecans (since I didn't have any of the latter on hand). Instead of topping each of the cookies with 1/4 cherry, I increased the size to 1/2 cherry. I goofed and forgot to add the 1/3 cup maraschino cherries, so next time I'll make sure to do that!

No comments: