Sunday, November 1, 2009

Party Pictures

As I mentioned yesterday, I've got some photos from our Halloween party in case you're curious. I dressed up as Snow White, and Steve was a dwarf:


I've really enjoyed reading everyone's comments about their Halloween costumes in the previous post (and there's still time to add yours if you haven't already done so...with a chance to win some BLOG CANDY, too).

I was happy with how ours turned out this year, but I'd have to say my favorite outfit ever was the time I made myself into a breakfast table! I used a piece of foamcore cut out so I could fit it around my middle and held it up with suspenders (the foamcore, that is...not my middle, LOL). I covered it with a plastic tablecloth and then attached a cereal bowl, milk carton, silverware, and juice glass with hot glue. I was teaching middle school at the time, and the kids really got a kick out of it.

Speaking of breakfast, bet you can guess what Jeannette was:


Yup, a cereal killer! Shannon and Suzie really got creative and made their playing cards themselves:


I had a lot of fun planning our menu. The Slitering Stromboli was a hit and very easy to make using frozen bread dough and sandwich fillings:


All the guys especially liked the Barbecued Bat Wings, which were rather disgusting looking (much to their delight):


I was partial to the Cheesenstein myself, just because I thought it was such a neat idea:


The Scary Cerebrum was particularly tasty:


But the very first things to go were the Eyes of Newt:


I tinted the deviled egg filling with green food coloring, topped each spoonful with a sliced black olive, and then finished them off with "veins" drawn with a toothpick and red food coloring. We had a few other dishes, as well, but this was the hands-down most popular one...so I thought I'd share the recipe with you:

Deviled Eggs

12 hardboiled eggs, peeled and chilled
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup salad dressing
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 green onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons well-drained sweet pickle relish

Cut eggs in half lengthwise, remove the yolks, and reserve the whites. Mash yolks until smooth, combine with rest of ingredients, and mix well. Spoon mixture into center of egg whites and chill until serving time.

* * *

These were so good, I may have to make them for Thanksgiving...minus the food coloring, of course. If you give them a try, please let me know how they turn out for you!

2 comments:

Deloris said...

What a fun party. Love the costumes. Took me a minute to get the cereal killer one but had a good laugh when the light bulb went off.

tammy said...

OMGoodness! I LOVE the Deviled Eyes/Eggs!! LOL