Saturday, December 5, 2009

Cookies Galore

Yesterday I got together with a girlfriend and we baked cookies. Lots and lots of cookies! Check out her dining room table, which was laden with ingredients:


We used four different recipes total, starting with two double batches of Scandinavian Almond Bars and then making a double batch each of Peanut Blossoms, Double Chocolate M&M Cookies, and Chocolate Candy Cane Kisses Cookies.

This BIG bowl had been filled to the top with the Double Chocolate M&M cookie dough:


They all turned out pretty good, but my favorite is always the Scandinavian almond bars:


I've been making these every Christmas for years, and everyone always loves them. They're truly delicious:


Thought I'd share the recipe with you, in case you'd like to try them yourself!

Scandinavian Almond Bars

1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and almond extract; mix until fluffy. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt; mix well.

Divide dough into 4 pieces, and roll each one into a log about 12 inches long. Place 2 logs per cookie sheet 4 to 5 inches apart. Flatten each roll by hand until it is about 3 inches wide. Brush flattened roll with milk and sprinkle with sliced almonds.

Bake in preheated oven 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are slightly browned. While the cookies are still warm, cut them crosswise at a diagonal, into slices about 1 inch wide. When cool, drizzle with almond icing.

To make almond icing: In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar, almond extract, and milk until smooth. Drizzle over the cookies.

* * *

So what are your favorite holiday cookies? I'd love to hear about them, and let's give away some BLOG CANDY while we're at it!

Leave a note in the comments section of this post with your answer. (Feel free to share the recipe if you'd like, too, but this part isn't required). I'll accept entries until Tuesday, December 9th, at midnight Central time. The winner will be randomly chosen on Wednesday morning, and that person will receive the 10189X Tall Bag Template and 10943SC Santa's Cookies Clear Set stamps featured in this week's website project:


Remember, if you post anonymously (in other words, without signing in), be sure to add your name or we won't be able to include you in our drawing. It will be the winner's responsibility to contact me via email no later than December 15th. If we don't hear from the winner, we won't be re-drawing...so please remember to come back and check. Good luck!

13 comments:

Michelle /Eliotstamps said...

I love to bake at the holidays. I think my absolute favorite cookies at Christmas are my aunt's raspberry thumbprints. They are perfect for breakfast on Christmas morning.

RustyBird said...

My favorite holdiay cookies are linzer cookies. Tough too make, but look so nice, and taste even better!

Tammy C said...

Pecan Meltaways - always on my cookie tray!! My family has an annual cookie exchange and I just baked 13 dozen cookies to swap!! YUM! Love the stamp set & template - would be great with some of my cookies tucked in it!!

Deloris said...

My favorite holiday cookies are peanut butter with hersheys kisses in the middle then sprinkled with sugar.

Summer Braxton said...

THe best cookies are these gooey chocolate ones with powdered sugar on top. I have no idea what they're called but my aunt makes them just for me every Christmas. And of course I love the decorated sugar cookies.

Connie said...

My favorite are Holly Wreaths. They're a cream cheese spritz cookie!
Happy Holidays!!

redwife said...

Pecan nut cups...they are so delicious and my Mom makes the best pastry. Me? I'm allergic to rolling pins Ü

Sue D said...

My favorite cookies are my mom's sugar cookies but she makes them with brownulated sugar instead which gives them a nice flavor.

Thebug415 said...

My favorite is the cut-outs/sugar cookies from the Betty Crocker Cookie cookbook on page 18. I have used this recipe since I was a little girl with my mom and grandma. I actually have my Grandma's(RIP) copy of the book...which is VERY used...since she was a baker. I even have all her notes. My girls and I are trying a new one this year for Marshmellows though...can't give a review yet though since we didn't make them yet.

Marie said...

Given the choice between cookies and fudge, I'll take fudge! I make it every Christmas and it is my favorite. Can you tell I'm a Chocoholic?

sophie's grandma said...

My daughter-in-law makes the best shortbread cookies....I love everything chocolate, but her fabulous cookies win every time!

Pam L.,Voorheesville,NY said...

While I do not bake, my favorite cookie is the one my 4-H leader used to make for our club members. It was a pepper cookie (as opposed to sugar) and it was cut out with a Santa face cookie cutter. Then she frosted and embellished each part of Santa. Red frosting and red sugar for the hat;white frosting and coconut for hat trim and beard; raisins for eyes, cinnamon candies for nose; pink frosting on the cheeks.. At the time, I didn't appreciate all the time it must have taken to decorate each of those nearly 100 cookies individually. I looked forward to them every year. 36 years later, I still reminisce about them. It's one of my favorite Christmas memories. What a labor of love. Thank you, Mrs. Springer!!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe! I may have to give that a try. I make lots of cookies too and what a fun idea to make them with a friend!
Mint Melt-a-ways are a favorite here.