Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Make Your Own Gift Bows

A few weeks ago, I posted about using the Bow-Easy to create different sizes of bows simply and quickly. I'm sure I will be pulling mine out when I start wrapping presents next week. (Or maybe earlier...but probably not, LOL!) Then today I saw an online article on how to make gift bows using recycled materials, such as magazine pages:


With Christmas right around the corner, I thought I'd give it a try since this seemed like a handy thing to know. Sometimes I run out of certain colors in my store-bought bow stash, and wouldn't it be nice to be able to whip up your own on short notice?

So I ripped out an interview of Natalie Portman from my Marie Claire magazine (sorry, Natalie) and got busy. In steps #5-7, the author suggests punching the holes and then layering the bow pieces onto the brad while holding it with your teeth to keep the loops from sliding off. That sounded like it might require feats of coodination that are way beyond my current skill level, so instead I used my Tim Holtz Tiny Attacher to hold the loops together until I was ready to assemble the bow:


After I'd made all nine loops, I used a 1/8" hole punch on them:


Then I stacked them up and fastened them with a brad:


Ta da, it worked! I'll stick it to my package using Glue Dots, which are super handy to use and have a strong adhesive.

And if you want to get really fancy, you can follow these instructions to make graduated strips complete with a center loop:


But I'm happy with the way mine turned out, so I'll probably stick with the first version. What a great way to use up those scraps of patterned paper we've all got sitting around, don't you think? Happy bow making!

No comments: