Monday, February 1, 2010

Busy Weekend

Did you enjoy your weekend? Hope so! It turned out to be a busy one for us. On Friday evening, we celebrated birthdays for Steve's nephews Nathan (10) and Tyler (7).

There was a benefit for Ray Westphall on Saturday at the local VFW. (Ray is a family friend who needs a double lung transplant.) We could only stay for about an hour, but it was cool to see so many people come out for the event:


That evening, Marilee and I went to Peg's house for a Scentsy "wickless candle" party. It was a big sniff-fest for everyone:


And yesterday I had another new experience: Malaysian cuisine. I'd purchased a gift certificate from Restaurant.com a while back (psst...they're on sale again for 80% off if you use the code BONUS), so we decided to use it for dinner. My first glance at Peninsula's menu made me laugh:


The "We open seven days a week" sentence jumped off the page. Must be my English teacher background, which I can't seem to escape!

But the best part was the food, I'm happy to say. We started off with the most delicious appetizer, Roti Canai:


It's an Indian-style pancake that is crispy on the outside but also soft and chewy, and there was a curried chicken and potato sauce served with it. I can't adequately describe the texture of the pancake, but I could have easily eaten just these (several of them!) for dinner.

While we were waiting for our entrees to arrive, Steve practiced his chopstick maneuvers:


"Maneuvers" may be a bit of an overstatement. Actually, he just wanted to be able to pick up the food instead of having to stab it with them!

We received the Char Kway Teow (stir-fried rice noodles) and Spicy Golden Tofu first:


For those of you who are unfamiliar with tofu, it's a mild bean curd made from soy milk. My mother is Korean, so I was introduced to it at a young age...but it's never been something I particularly liked. Peninsula's version, however (which they make in-house), is a far cry from the big blocks you can buy at the grocery store. It's pillowy-light and almost silky on the inside with a delicate crunchy exterior. I'd never had tofu like this before, and Steve (who is a real "meat" kinda guy) said that even he was pleasantly surprised.

I think overall he probably preferred the Curried Lamb Shank, though:


All the dishes provided enough incentive to finally master those chopsticks, at least for a few bites:


Hmm, I think I need another weekend to rest up from last week and the weekend, LOL! Seems to me our Golden, Bo, has a good idea:


(We call him a Golden, by the way, because there is no "retrieving" involved when it comes to Bo. He's a sweet dog but not very skilled with the fetching thing.)

By the way, while I was being a social butterfly this weekend, Cheryl finished updating the main Inky website with the new spring release. YAY! Please let me know what you think!

No comments: