Thursday, April 15, 2010

Speedy Supper

It's been an exceptionally hectic past few weeks with conventions, a make & take event, an Inky class, the store monthly board program (and, oh, did I mention we're getting married on May 1st and have been planning for that!), so I haven't done much cooking lately.

I've blown our food budget and we have been eating several meals that begin with the words "take out" and "drive through." Last night, though, I modified this recipe quite a bit and dinner came together very quickly:


Since it turned out pretty tasty, I thought I'd share my adapted recipe. It's not really close to the original version, but we still liked it a lot.

Speedy Chicken Stir-Fry

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast meat, cubed
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon chile paste
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, grated
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup water

In a wok or large skillet, stir-fry chicken in oil for 6-8 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove chicken and set aside.

Combine chicken broth, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, chile paste, garlic, and ginger in a small bowl. Pour mixture into wok, and cook for 2-4 minutes over high heat. Dissolve cornstarch into water, and stir into boiling sauce. Simmer until the sauce thickens and turns clear, about 2 minutes. Return chicken to the pan, and cook until mixture is heated through.

(Next time, I might use boneless chicken thighs instead since we prefer dark meat for its moistness. I'd also add green onions or garnish with cilantro for a bit of color and even more flavor, but I didn't have either on hand yesterday.

I served this with steamed brown rice and Trader Joe's Soy Ginger Carrots. Green beans or snow peas would have made a good accompaniment, too.)

* * *

Speaking of shows, Ruthie and I are driving to Rockford tonight for this weekend's StampScrapArtTour convention. I know Chelsea will be there (yay!)...any other blog readers? If so, please stop by to say hello. And if you mention the secret phrase "Daisy Kit," I have this little goodie to give you as a gift!

3 comments:

Darcie Heater said...

Oh, and by the way ....I'm getting MARRIED?!?!?!?! Woo hoo!!!! Congrats! See you next week!

Ayana Posadas said...

Thanks for the recipe!
This dish looks delicious! :)

~Michelle~ said...

Congratulations!! ...by the way! ;)