Monday, June 14, 2010

Bow-Easy Measurements

As you may know, the Bow-Easy template helps you create seven different size bows:


Here's my original post on the Bow-Easy, which also contains a video and link to PDF instructions.

The Bow-Easy doesn't come with the sizes printed on it, so I used a Sharpie marker to label mine for easy reference. (Note: The largest size, 2 3/4", is not labeled on the template above. It's the wider set of prongs shown at the bottom of the photo on the same side as the 1 1/4" size, underneath the Posi-Bendr Co. information.)

When I demonstrate the Bow-Easy template at shows, sometimes customers will ask how much ribbon you need. And my answer has always been the same: The length of ribbon varies, depending on what size bow you're making and whether you want a single- or double-looped bow.

But that didn't seem very specific, so I sat down with my Bow-Easy, scissors, and ruler to make all the different size bows and record how much ribbon it actually took. Here is a handy guide to help you cut the right amount each time:

Keep in mind these measurements are approximate. You may find that you're able to use even less ribbon that I did to comfortably make your bows.

On the other hand, you might wish to add an extra inch or two to the lengths given in the chart (especially if you're just getting started or have limited dexterity).

Want to print out this information? I've put it into a PDF file, as well. Happy bow making!

5 comments:

Cindy said...

This is awesome. Thanks so much ... I couldn't get this printed out any quicker!!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

this is on my list to get next! I've heard about it and now need to give it a try.

Kathy said...

Thank you! I bought this a couple of years ago and couldn't remember how to use it. Isn't that how it always is....anyhow - thanks!

Jackie Wamhoff said...

You're welcome, ladies. It's such a handy little tool, and I hope this makes it even easier to use!

Jackie Cole said...

Jackie Thank you so much for doing this pdf file, I love having the info all in one spot.
Hey it was great great seeing you in Arlington, hope I see you in January at Mesquite. Big hugs, girl, Jackie in Texas