Monday, June 7, 2010

Clear Treat Basket

I haven't forgotten about you, Inky friends! I was hoping to post this before I left last Wednesday for the scrapbook convention in Arlington, but I just plumb ran out of time on Tuesday night. This is a little project I made to show another thing to do with our Clear Cardstock (in addition to making unique transparent cards, for example):


To start, I layered colored and trimmed images from Lg. Cube 0154 Kitty Cube onto green cardstock that I'd cut with a Nestabilities Labels One set in my Cuttlebug. I also cut four additional labels and set those aside:


I folded back the crimped ends of four Ghiradelli Squares chocolates and used double-sided tape to hold the ends in place:


Turning in the ends allowed my layered kitties and blank labels to fit nicely onto the Ghiradelli Squares, which I taped on the top and bottom of each chocolate wrapper (not pictured) before setting them aside.

For the basket base, I cut a piece of Clear Cardstock so it measured 5" x 5". With a Scor-It Board, I scored each of the four sides at 1 1/2":


I made two cuts on each side, right on the horizontal score lines, up to the vertical score marks:


The pawprint from 10977MC Delightful Dogs #1 Clear Set made a fun background when I stamped it repeatedly using StazOn Opaque Ink in Blush Pink. So that my pawprints wouldn't overlap when assembling my box, I stamped only the four inside squares plus the center square (but not the four corner squares):


I folded inward on all score lines:


Since the Clear Cardstock is so sturdy, I could only use my 1/8" hole punch on one layer at a time. First I punched the inside square on one side (the one with the pawprints):


Next I folded one of the corner squares inward and punched through the existing hole. I unfolded it and did the same with the same with the other corner square on that side, so that all three squares had a hole in them. Then I repeated this on the other side of the piece.

After adding strips of 1/8" red-lined tape on the corner squares of each side, my piece looked like this:


I pulled the release strip on one of the red-lined tape pieces and folded the corner square inward again, lining up the two holes before pressing down to adhere:


Once I did the same with the other corner square on that side, this is what I had:


The next step, as I'm sure you already guessed, was to fold up and adhere the other side in the same way:


I threaded ribbon through one side and added a flower:


Then I knotted the end:


I did the same thing on the other side to create the basket handle. I filled it with the decorated Ghiradelli Squares and added the 0056D Pawsitively Terrific saying to the front, and my project was complete:


Ta da! It was simple and quick to make. In fact, writing the instructions for this post took longer than creating the treat basket itself. Hope you'll be inspired to give it a try!

4 comments:

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

This is pawsitively awesome! Love it!!

foolforstamping said...

LOL looks like alot of work but I will give it a try and let you know.

Kathy said...

So cute! Love the flower accent - will definitely be making some of these!

Jackie Wamhoff said...

Thanks for your kind comments, ladies!Foolforstamping, it really did take significantly longer to post the instructions than to make the basket itself. It goes together much faster than you might think. :-)