Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Santa & Reindeer Triangle Treat Basket

I'm not sure if you noticed in Sunday's post, but there were a couple of glimpses showing this basket o' triangle boxes:


One of the samples I brought to CHA was a centerpiece made with 10215V Triangle Treat Template and 10938SC Christmas Character Maker Clear Set. I was running out of time before I left, so Steve sweetly offered to help make it.

Yes, it's true...white men can stamp:


Ha ha, he thought that was a very clever thing for me to say:


(All right, I'm joking. I'd asked him to pose and look like he was enjoying himself...because isn't this exactly the way every guy likes to spend his Saturday night?!)

As we were both working away, me on display boards and him on triangle boxes, I glanced over and something caught my attention. Can you guess what it was:


Nope, it's not my super messy table! It's the fact that he was using my Edward Scissorhands scissors to cut out the little antlers. Generally I reserve those big guys for trimming the template boxes only. So I swapped them for my detail scissors:


Silly rabbit, he said it didn't really make much difference to him either way!

Speaking of cutting, you may already know this tip: It's actually easier to hold the scissors relatively stationary and turn the paper as you go (rather than trying to bend your wrist into weird positions as you trim around something):


Steve gave the reindeer rosy cheeks with Shimmer Chalks:


Then he adhered the antlers with Scotch Quick-Dry Tacky Adhesive:


(Zip Dry Paper Glue also works well for this. Just choose something that sticks quickly for best results.)

I added red flocking to one of the reindeer's noses...voila, Rudolph!

Steve stuck bamboo skewers I'd purchased at the dollar store into the boxes, and then I placed the boxes into a basket containing a foam block. Earlier he had used spray adhesive on the big pom poms and covered them with Diamond Dust to create sparkly "snow." He also taped a few candy canes to skewers and I added those to the basket.

Here's a closeup of the finished project:


By the way, if you're wondering how to assemble the basic box, there are instructions showing how to make the bunny version here. And you can find three new clear sets from our CHA release that coordinate with the Triangle Treat Template stamp by clicking here. Why not "treat" yourself to them today? (Okay, groan on the pun...but please check out the new sets if you haven't seen them already. I really think you'll like 'em!)

4 comments:

Kathy said...

He is such a good sport. Love that basket!

Laurie (Wally) said...

OH wow.. that is so nice that he helped you make these... I so love them.. what a great idea for class gifts...off to place an order...

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

Sweet! I love seeing a basket full of them. Steve is doing a GREAT job!

Tex Gerard said...

Just adorable!
Waving "Hi!" to Steve!
BTW ... Ron says you owe him a workday in his man-shack/shop .... since he agreed to learn to make a bow for you! LOL

((hugs))
Tex