Thursday, September 30, 2010

From The Cabbage Patch

We had (correction, make that have) several bags of shredded coleslaw mix hanging around since our party last Saturday, so last night I decided to use up one of them and make bierocks. They're meat pies that originated in Eastern Europe and are also known as runzas:


I'd made these a few years ago and liked them a lot, but I just hadn't gotten around to trying them again until now. Some recipes start with frozen bread dough, although I prefer to make my dough from scratch. I had planned on doing the latter and mixed together the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. Then I scalded the milk, water, and shortening.

It wasn't until after I'd done all this, of course, that I discovered I was out of eggs. Doh! By the time I ran a couple of errands (during which I was going to let the dough rise), it was too late to do things the "long" way. Steve plays billiards on Wednesday nights, so I had to get dinner on the table in under an hour. Instead, I took a suggestion from an Allrecipes.com review and used two tubes of Pillsbury Crusty French Bread. It worked like a charm and these went together pretty quickly. Thank goodness for the doughboy!

Thought I'd post the recipe in case you want to give it a try:

Bierocks (Meat Turnovers)

4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 cup sugar
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs

1 pound lean ground beef
2 small onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 cups chopped cabbage
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

In a large mixing bowl, place 1 3/4 cups flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. Heat milk, water, and shortening to 120-130 degrees F. Pour over flour mixture; add the eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low until blended. Beat 3 additional minutes on high. Stir in the remaining flour; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, brown beef, onions, and garlic in a skillet. Add the cabbage, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper; cook until cabbage is wilted. Punch dough down; roll into twelve 6-inch squares. Top each square with 1/3 cup meat mixture. Fold into triangles. Pinch edges tightly to seal, and place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Notes: As I mentioned above, I used two tubes of Pillsbury Crusty French Bread unrolled, flattened, and divided each tube into 8 squares with a pizza cutter. (I made my bierocks in squares rather than rectangles.)

For the cabbage, I substituted one 14-ounce bag of shredded coleslaw mix. This makes it extra cabbage-y, but I like it that way. I put 1/4 cup of filling in each bierock before pinching the edges closed. I did have extra filling, which I promptly devoured by itself as the bierocks were baking.

* * *

I'm heading to Cleveland this evening for the Adventures In Stamping show in Strongsville on Saturday, so I'll "see" you back here again next week.

If you're attending the convention, stop by the demo table and mention the secret phrase "Daisy Kit" to me. I've still got a few of these left, and I'd love to give you one as a thank you for reading the blog and visiting in person!

13 comments:

crazyladyx5 said...

This looks great!

My BEST bread recipe does not contain eggs. Flour, water, salt, yeast with a sprinkle of sugar over the yeast as it proofs.

LazyTcrochet said...

This sounds delicious! Thanks for posting.

phrogmom said...

i am definitely going to try this! thank you for the idea!!

laurastrickland2004 said...

My momma just to make these & called them Cabbage Pockets!!!

tidbitsandnuggets said...

My mom used to make beerocks with leftover roast beef. I've never ever seen a recipe for them. You can find them for sale in Fresno, but I've always wondered what culture originated them. Yours look great.

Anonymous said...

First time I tried these was when we lived in Salina KS and they served them in school with brown gravy over them. They used shredded potato in them also. We make them now with pie crust instead of bread dough and add just a little gravy to the filling to moisten it and we make ours really seasoned. Delicious! brings back tons of memories

Anonymous said...

My family is Czech and these are a favorite that was passed down from my grandmother. I read somewhere bierocks originated in Germany.

Anonymous said...

we had neighbours who were from Poland. They made Pierogies filled with cooked shredded meat, cooked cabbage, and cooked potato/onion mix. No sauce was served. They also used careway seed in the filling, giving it a distinct flavour. This was served with other vegetable dishes. Very tasty!!!

Anonymous said...

my family has made these and my great grandma supposedly brought her recipe here and she was Czech. We also add bacon to the beef for this recipe

Anonymous said...

These look so good. So glad to have the recipe so I can try making them - soon! I will post what I think once they are done. I think I would enjoy shredded beef instead of ground beef, and I would add some kind of cheese, such as mozzarella or provolone. That might be good. I'll try them with a few different combinations to see what tastes best! Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Ok i just tried to make these and it didn't turn out like i planned it to. I had trouble unrolling the pillsbury french bread dough but i made it work. Instead of making the squares i rolled out the dough and placed the filling in and pinched the ends. Haven't tried it yet but will let yall know.

Jackie Wamhoff said...

Thank you for sharing your comments about the bierocks, everyone! It's interesting to read about all the variations people have tried. These remind me a little of pasties, which are also great comfort food.

To person who had trouble with the canned dough, I did flatten it out quite a bit with my fingers and then found I had to pinch tightly to make sure the filling didn't come out as they baked. Takes a bit of doing, but it's still a lot faster than making the dough from scratch. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I just would like to offer you
a huge thumbs up for your great information you've got right here on this post. I will be returning to your blog for more soon.

my homepage Click Through The Next Website
my webpage - http://www.sitenizesayac.Com