Friday, September 17, 2010

Scrapfest Is Here

Yesterday I picked up Michelle from the airport. We went to the Mall of America and met Jan, Ruthie, and Dawn to get our registration badges for ScrapFest. After dinner at Bubba Gump's, I had to get my picture taken with the giant shrimp:


Today I took two classes and did a few make & takes. The most interesting part of the day, however, was watching Tim Holtz demo several different techniques using his Stampers Anonymous stamps and Ranger & Idea-ology products. As you can see, I wasn't the only one who was inspired and entertained:


Even though it's not Inky-related, I wanted to show you one of the projects he made for us. (Well, technically I guess it is Inky-related since Stampers Anonymous, as you know, is one of our sister companies.)

Sidenote: Please excuse some of my blurry photos. I'm still trying to figure out the best settings to use on my phone's camera, and apparently I haven't mastered that yet! Tim does have an excellent video of this technique, called Dabber Resist, on his website. But the tag he created for us this afternoon had a unique embellishment, which I thought you might like to see.

He started by applying acrylic paint with the Adirondack Paint Dabber in Snowcap on a stamp from his CMS089 Bitty Grunge cling mount set:


After stamping it onto a manila tag, he used the Inkssentials Ink Blending Tool to apply various colors of his Distress Ink Pads:


See how the stamped part resists the ink:


The Paint Dabbers work like magic to keep the Distress Ink from staying on the image. The contrast is even greater when a cloth is rubbed over the area:


Next Tim stamped again over the tag...even the "resisted" part:


He rubbed the cloth over it again:


It's a bit hard to see, but if you view the photo carefully you can tell how the rings appear to be masked behind the rays on the bottom of the tag:


Neat, huh? He used an Archival Black Pad to stamp the umbrella man from CMS063 Mini Muse, and then he stamped alphabet type (which was inked very lightly) from CMS090 Going Somewhere:


Here was the part where he made the neat embellishment. He used a 1/2" circle punch on one of the specially sized designs from his Lost & Found Paper Stack:


He applied Glossy Accents to the base of a Type Charm:


Then he adhered the punched circle piece and added an epoxy sticker (which comes with the Type Charms) over the top:


He attached it to a Hinge Clip with one of his Jump Rings, along with a Locket Key. Half a wing from the Adornment Charms here (did you know you can cut metal with the Tim Holtz scissors?), a Game Spinner attached to a couple of Sprocket Gears with a Mini Fastener there...and, ta da, this cool tag was done:


I'm headed back to the MoA tomorrow for another class, more make & takes, and a crop night. I will post more about that afterward. Hope you're having a great weekend!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I really want to attend this event one year. Glad to hear you are having fun! love Tim Holtz tag. His scissors are fabulous and they cut through anything!

Jackie Wamhoff said...

I agree, Kathy, about the scissors and ScrapFest, too. Hope you get a chance to go sometime! :-)

ScrappingBeauty said...

Have fun Jackie! My Mom and I went a few years ago to Scrapfest at the MOA. It was fun! Enjoy yourself!