Thursday, September 2, 2010

State Fair Time

It's that time of year again...Minnesota State Fair time, that is. Steve and I took off work yesterday to attend:


We began with a nutritious, fruit-filled breakfast:


All right, maybe it wasn't that nutritious. But our chocolate-marshmallow sandwich did have bananas in it. Afterward, it was all downhill as we got sucked into a deep-fried food black hole:


This included a cinnamon and sugar dusted elephant ear, which was delicious:


We were feeling adventurous, so we had another type of ear...pig's ear fries, that is:


Unfortunately, we didn't care for 'em. They were like smoked rubber bands. Okay, I have to admit I've never actually had a smoked rubber band. But I can imagine they'd taste about the same.

We had regular fries, too:


Just a "modest" 32 oz. size, though. We weren't up for a 64 oz. barrel, which looks like it could feed a small army.

Our foray into Deep Fry Land not only included plain fried foods, but also fried foods on a stick:


We passed on the hotdish on a stick but had to have the ubiquitous corn dog. I think there are a gazillion pronto pup stands at the fair.

Who couldn't resist something you can watch being cooked in a huge vat of oil right before your very eyes? You can almost feel your arteries starting to harden:


Once it emerged, that dog was ours, baby:


Next, we got a deep-fried spiral cut potato on a stick (which apparently made the kid behind Steve envious...or perhaps awestruck):


And we had to try the deep-fried hamburger, which weighed about three pounds due to all the grease. Yep, the bun is hidden somewhere inside there:


Just like last year, this is how we were feeling after all those snacks:


Kidding. Unlike the cute piglets, we were no longer interested in eating.

Even though it's mainly about the food with me, you can also see animals at the fair. Averill, for example, is the highest scored cow:


Cows mean milk and butter, so we checked out the butter sculptures. They were actually working on one when we visited:


Don't forget about the chickens! When I think of a chicken, this is what I picture:


But did you know they wear all different kinds of outfits? Some are fluffy:


And some are downright pretty:


Others are fluffy and pretty, with a bit of goofy thrown in:


I liked this one the very best, however, and apparently the judges agreed:


You can ride things at the fair:


And you can buy things at the fair. Someone must have had a good time emptying the bottles to make these unusual night lights:


Need a marionette? You can find them here:


Along with a host of kitchen and other household gadgets:


My favorite vegetable peeler guy was in his usual spot:


He comes every year, which is one of the things I love about the fair. Something old, something new...and always lots of fun!

7 comments:

Thebug415 said...

Uggg...I think I gained 10 lbs just looking at these pictures...lol. I do have to say I do love ribbon cut fries. Although I passed on the fair food this year (other then the carmel apple).

Kathy said...

Looks like you had a fun day! I think I would have had to have that chocolate marshmallow sandwich - yum! And - love Steve's shirt - my boys are all Chuck Norris fans.

Whimcees said...

Hello!

Thanks for the photos - brings back many memories! I was born and raised in Mankato, MN so the fair was a big thing for us! I think that same potato peeler guy was there that many years ago! :<)

I have been reading of the marshmallow, chocolate, bannana covered with powder sugar 'sandwich' - it seems to be the hit of the fair this year! :<)

Wishing you a happy weekend!

Barbara Diane

Chrisd said...

Looks like fun! Our Michigan State Fair was canceled due to the economy but maybe next year. Glad you ate some unique and interesting foods there. Happy weekend to you too.

Bev Gerard said...

Oh my deep-fried starzzzzzzzz! What a trip through the fried wonders of the State Fair! You skipped the Funnel Cakes! LOL Our TX State Fair had deep-fried "butter" last year ... we skipped that part (whew!). I love to check out the animals too ...

Jackie Wamhoff said...

I got a caramel apple, too, Jessica...but I took it "to go." And I think I actually DID gain 10 pounds! Well, maybe just 5 but now my jeans are tight. :-P Have to cut back this week now, LOL.

Kathy and Barbara, that sandwich was yummy and we'd been debating between it and the Elvis (peanut butter and banana; some versions also call for bacon).

Kathy, here's a funny thing about Steve's shirt: Did you notice he wore it last year, too? He got stopped by at least a half dozen people who commented on it.

Chris, good to "see" you again here. :-) Sorry to hear about Michigan's fair being canceled. What a bummer!

Tex, they had funnel cakes at the elephant ear booth, too, but I had to pass. One guy got his topped with chocolate, cherry pie filling, powdered sugar AND Bavarian creme. Talk about overkill! I actually took a picture of it, but it didn't make it into this post.

My Friend Ronnie said...

Bummer! Jim and I were there on Thursday too! Surprised we didn't run into you at a Deep Fried On A Stick stand! My fave (beyond the food) is the crop art! See you soon...
Ronnie