Thursday, October 7, 2010

Halloween Treat Basket

Even though it's 71 degrees here in Minnesota today, Halloween is only a few weeks away so I thought I'd share a little treat basket project with you!

I started with a 6" x 6" piece of patterned cardstock (the following two photos show the reverse side, which is blank) and used my Score-it-All Large Board to score at 2" on all four sides:


I made 2" cuts inward from the left and right sides, right on the score lines (four cuts total):


To assemble the basket, I folded on all the score lines as if I were making a cube. But instead of folding up the side flaps all the way, I only folded them up at an angle. Then I used a stapler to hold the side flaps in place:


(Tim Holtz's Tiny Attacher would be perfect for the job because it has a long "nose" so you don't have to squish your hand into the basket, but I lent mine to Ruthie for making this month's store board samples. That thing comes in so handy!)

I used a bit of red-lined tape to adhere a piece of ribbon to the center of a 1 1/2" x 6" strip of yellow cardstock. Then I added tape to the both short ends of the strip (on the side with the ribbon) and tucked each end into the side of the basket, between the folded-up flaps:


I'm not a huge fan of candy corn (gasp!) because I find it cloyingly sweet, but it's really yummy when mixed with peanuts. The saltiness cuts the sugar and makes it taste "just right." So I mixed some up and threw in a few foil-wrapped chocolate eyeballs just for fun:


I decorated the front and back of the basket with 0491F Batty Seal that was stamped, colored, cut out, and then layered onto an orange scalloped circle die cut with Nestabilities:


This was really simple to make, which is a good thing if you need to create several for all those trick-or-treaters who will be banging at your door soon. Or maybe you'll just want to whip up a few of them for your most special little monsters. Either way, I hope you'll give it a try!

3 comments:

Chrisd said...

Jackie,
So very cute!I think some little friends of mine in Michigan will also be finding one on their porch for the "Boo Day".Thanks a bunch!

Tammy C. said...

Made this over the weekend with my daughter and her little friend. Thanks for the cute idea!

Carolee Jones said...

what a CUTE, simple idea! thanks for sharing & showing!
CJ=Homer,Alaska