Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Sweety's Treats

After my class at Scrapbooks Too! last week, one of the students showed me a neat treat box card she'd made. (Thanks, Allie!) I found this tutorial on SCS that explains how to make it and thought I'd give it a try:


The Splitcoast directions are very well written, so I won't repeat them all here. I just wanted to highlight a few of my steps as I made the Inky version.

As instructed, I trimmed a diagonal piece from the large end panel to create the flap by measuring 3" from the bottom right corner and connecting my cut mark to the upper left corner at the first score line. Then I stamped the front panel with 10038F Star Point Background using a Brilliance Pad in Moonlight White and ran the edges of the panel across the pad:


I layered a 1 1/4" x 4 3/4" piece of patterned paper (PA1278 Bright Polka Party from Darcie's) onto the panel that would contain the window. Instead of punching out the window, I used my fine-bladed X-Caliber Craft Knife to cut it by hand:


And I lined the window with acetate on the reverse side:


The box is designed so the bottom and top don't have extra flaps to tuck in, so I added a strip of red-lined tape onto the side tabs and folded the end tab to adhere the bottom closed:


For the top of the box, I wanted to add a bow that could be tied and untied. So I lined an 18" piece of ribbon with about 10" of red-lined tape in the middle part, and I wrapped it around the bottom and both sides of the box:


I adhered a 3 1/4" x 4 3/4" piece of patterned paper (PA1287 Bright Stripes from Darcie's) into the inside center of the card and used glue dots to attach a gift card to the left side:


I stamped 10588F Sweet Holiday on scrap white cardstock and punched it out with a Marvy Clever Lever Super Jumbo Oval Punch. Then I layered it onto a piece of red cardstock punched with the Mega Scallop Oval Punch. I used an opaque white gel pen to add faux "eyelet" dots around the border and adhered my layered saying onto the bottom of the striped area:


For the main image on the front of the card, I stamped 10660K Sweety's Candy Cane (both the image and saying are also available in 10914LC Sweety Snowmen #2 Clear Set) onto scrap white cardstock. I colored with pencils, blended with Gamsol, and cut out the image.

At shows, you'll frequently hear me mention how "it's all about the little things" when it comes to giving projects that polished look. For my finishing touches, I added Ultrafine Glitter to the stripes of the candy cane and red flocking to the cap using a Quickie Glue Pen. Then I adhered my Sweety image to the front of the card with foam tape.

To give Sweety's carrot nose a shiny appearance, I used a Glaze Clear Gloss Pen:


This pen is so convenient for small areas...no more squirting Diamond Glaze onto scrap paper and trying to apply it with a toothpick or paintbrush. I still use the bottled stuff for larger spaces, but I really like the pen for all those bitty spots that you want to look wet and/or shiny: tree leaves, animals' noses, sunglasses, lipgloss, raindrops, etc.

When using the pen, I like to dab it on rather than scribbling. The cool thing is you can build it up to add dimension and even more shine, but I make sure to let it dry thoroughly before adding subsequent layers. (If you try to reapply while it's still wet, you'll end up rubbing off your color.)

Here's my completed project:


Yep, candy and a gift card...what a perfect combination!

2 comments:

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

this is precious! i saw this tutorial and now really need to get one made!

Linsey said...

Super Cute!! I love it and I'm going to try one tomorrow! I know this post is from last year, but it continues to inspire!!! Thank you :D