Thursday, November 11, 2010

Turkey Treat Box

I saw this tutorial on SCS and thought I'd make up an Inky version using 0530G Dessert First (also available in 10918MC Gobbles Turkey Clear Set):


We'll be going to Steve's brother and sister-in-law's house for Thanksgiving again this year, and it would be fun to put one of these at each place setting at the table (with their permission, of course, since their two kiddos will probably take the sentiment literally!)

Following the directions, I started with an 8 1/2" x 10" piece of cardstock, a 3 3/4" x 5 1/4" piece of patterned paper (PA1446 Brown Boyelyn from Darcie's), and a 2" x 8" piece of patterned paper (PA1258 Narrow Stripes Fall from Darcie's):


I scored the 8 1/2" x 10" piece of cardstock on the 8 1/2" side at 1/4", 2 1/4", 6 1/4" and 8 1/4". Then I turned the cardstock to the 10" side and scored at 5 1/2" and 7 1/2".

On the left side of the cardstock, starting at the 2 1/4" score line, I cut down to the 5 1/2" horizontal score line and then toward the left, removing the 2 1/4" x 5 1/2" piece. I repeated this step on the right side:


Along the remaining 8 1/2" horizontal score line, I cut 2 1/4" inward on both sides to create my box flaps and folded the cardstock as shown in the photo:


Here's a closeup of the lower right side. You can see that I left the narrow tab on the upper piece unfolded:


Next, I scored the 2" x 8" piece of patterned paper at 2" and 6", and I folded at the score lines toward the "wrong" side. I turned the cardstock piece over and adhered the 2" x 8" piece of patterned paper to the bottom 2 1/2" section of the cardstock.

I placed red-lined tape on the two outer 1/4" tabs of the bottom section and applied double-sided tape to the entire flap of the middle section on both sides:


To assemble the box, I turned the piece back over and folded up the bottom section (to adhere the flaps together with the double-sided taped part):


Then I pulled the release strips from the red-lined tape and adhered the tabs to the back panel of the box:


To finish decorating the box, I adhered the 3 3/4" x 5 1/4" patterned paper to the box panel and punched a handle with a Marvy Clever Lever Extra Jumbo Oval Punch. I attached a double-looped bow (simple to create using the Bow-Easy) with a large glue dot.

Finally, I stamped my turkey image on scrap white cardstock, colored with pencils and blended with Gamsol, layered it onto brown cardstock, and adhered the whole thing to the front of the box with foam tape. And, of course, I filled it with a baggie of candy:


Now if I can only convince Steve to help me make 9 more of them...but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask, right? You know what they say about that: No harm, no fowl!

4 comments:

Thebug415 said...

OH how cute!

Deloris said...

How fun! Love that idea!

Marie O said...

What a great tutorial! I can't wait to try this. Another great use of this fabulous stamp set. I love it when I can use stamps over and over. I wonder if I can complete 15 of these by Thanksgiving.

Jackie Wamhoff said...

Aww, thanks for taking the time to comment, ladies. So glad to hear you like it. :-)