Friday, December 10, 2010

Sticky Note Holders

Last year, my mother-in-law started a new family tradition and we played the dice game on Christmas Day...all of us, from my four-year-old niece to Steve's middle-aged siblings to his young-at-heart parents. It didn't seem fair that Nikki should buy all the presents, though, so this year we're divvying up the responsbilities.

I'll be bringing several different items (some yet to be purchased...I'm usually not that much of a planner, LOL) and I thought it might be fun to include a couple of handcrafted goodies, namely these sticky note pad holder/pen sets:


They can be made using various sizes of acrylic frames, which you can usually get at the dollar store or another low-price chain retailer. I already had the 4" x 6" frames on hand, so that's what I used. I simply inserted my background paper into the frame like a photo:


Then I decorated the front with a stamped image. I used 10429H Wavin' Petey, which I first colored before embellishing with Diamond Dust using a glue pen. This stuff is what I call "glitter on steroids," and I love its chunky, sparkly appearance:


This fall, one of my students in class suggested filling an RSVP pen with glass beads for an unusual twist. (Most of the time you'll see patterned paper used with them, as I've done in the second project later in this post.) I thought it might be neat to try the Diamond Dust, so I pulled off the cap and the end piece but left the ink tube in the barrel. Then I used the end of the pen itself to scoop up the Diamond Dust:


And I tapped it point-side down so the Diamond Dust could settle before I continued filling it this way:


To adhere the sticky note pad to the frame, I removed the brown release paper from the back and applied strips of red-lined tape onto it:


After layering my image and adhering it to the upper part of the frame and tying a piece of ribbon to the pen cap, I was done:


I mentioned earlier how you can use patterned paper with the RSVP pen. Simply cut a 3/4" x 3 1/2" strip, roll it up, and insert it into the barrel.

For my second project, I stored the patterned paper piece a few times first since I was using cardstock weight:


Then I removed the pen cap, end piece, and this time also the ink barrel before inserting the folded patterned paper:


Instead of just laying the reassembled pen on the lip of my sticky note pad like I'd done earlier, I thought I'd add something to attach the pen to this one. I cut a velcro coin in half and placed each of the "loop" pieces on the side of the frame:


Then I cut the "hook" coin in half and put each piece face down onto the "loop" side (with the sticky adhesive facing out). I carefully positioned the pen onto the sticky part and pressed the "hook" pieces onto the pen.

This note holder was decorated with 0584G Season's Tweetings (which I colored before embellishing with flocking and ultrafine glitter using a glue pen):


Another way to attach the pen is to simply insert it into the ribbon, which I'd tied around the whole frame.

If you want to get really fancy, you can make a pen holder for the frame using 1/2" furniture leg caps as suggested by an Inky customer, Lucy G., who took one of my classes a couple of months ago. This is what she bought:




Lucy cut one of them in half horizontally with a craft knife and used a heavy-duty adhesive (she said Gorilla Super Glue works great) to attach the two pieces to the frame:


Here's a back view of her project:


And a front view:


Thanks for sharing, Lucy...and thank YOU for visiting again, Inky blog readers!

7 comments:

Kathy said...

Cute project - makes a quick and easy gift!

Laurie (Wally) said...

ohhh these are cute... I have made something similar before...love your pen holder ideas...tfs

RustyBird said...

What a great idea. I'll be making some of these!

Chelsea said...

cute cute project ... thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you for this good read!! I certainly enjoyed every bit of it.

I have you saved as a favorite to look at new things you post…
Here is my web blog want to lose weight fast

Anonymous said...

Attractive element of content. I juѕt ѕtumbled
upon your ωeb site and in aссеѕѕіon capіtal to assert
that Ӏ acquire in fact loved account your wеblog poѕts.
Any wау І'll be subscribing in your augment or even I success you get right of entry to persistently fast.

Check out my blog post :: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/blu-cigs-review-do-they-deliver-the-real-deal-or-just-the-smokers-blues-awesomealldaycom-tests-blu-cigs-186014282.html
my page: see here

Anonymous said...

Воԁy construсting, ρregnanсy or wеight loѕs might be the
purpoѕe fοr ѕtrеtсh maгks.


my site; alchemicalshiatsu.com