Monday, May 16, 2011

Making Soap...& Some Stamping, Too

About a month ago, I resurrected an old hobby that I hadn't done for 10 years...soap making! I've always been interested in recipes, and I love seeing how the fats and oils magically turn into bubbly soap after the lye has been added. I remember giving away dozens of bars before finally putting my supplies into storage long ago. Well, I finally pulled them out and put 'em to use again.

Although there are many steps and a few important precautions that need to be taken, the process of making your own soap is really quite simple. After choosing your recipe, start by weighing out each of the fats and oils.

For this formulation, I started with coconut oil:


I poured the proper amount into my pot and then measured the rest of the oils, including palm, olive, and avocado:


Into the pot they went, as I heated them gently:


Once the oils were warm, I turned my attention to the lye/water mixture. I made sure to put on my goggles before proceeding:


Not exactly a fashion statement, huh? But as you may know, lye is caustic and can burn right through skin even faster than a hot knife through butter. A chemical burn from lye is not something you want to experience, so it's best to make sure your eyes and skin are protected with goggles, long sleeves, and rubber gloves.

Once I was suited up, I carefully weighed the lye:


Yep, Red Devil is a drain opener. It's also 100% lye. Don't substitute with Drano, however. That has other stuff in it that you don't want in your soap.

Incidentally, many people might ask why you'd want lye in your soap if it's so dangerous? Don't worry, there won't be any lye left once we're done. Part of the mystery of soap making is how the lye turns fats and oils into soapy goodness in a chemical reaction called saponification.

All soap is made this way, actually, although commercial bars of soap are often a mixture of soap and detergents. Handmade soap is usually more moisturizing, however, in part because the natural glycerin (a by-product of saponification) isn't removed as it sometimes is with commercial bars.

Anyway, back to the story. Next I weighed out the water:


Then I slowly poured the lye into the water and stirred to dissolve the crystals:


As the lye dissolved, the water heated up:


Meanwhile, I checked on my oils that were still heating:


Oops, the temperature had gotten a bit too high. Before combining the lye/water and fats/oils, you want both to be around 90-110 degrees F:


My recipe called for mixing them at 105 degrees F, so I cooled the lye/water and oils until both were at the right temperature.

Now I was ready for the fun part! I poured the lye/water into the oils while stirring constantly:


After stirring for a few minutes, I pulled out my trusty stick blender:


That really got things moving! You can see how the texture of the oils started to change as the lye/water was incorporated more thoroughly:


After several minutes, my soap had reached trace. This is the stage where the ingredients are fully mixed. You can usually tell when you've hit trace if you dribble a ribbon of soap over the surface and it takes a second or two to disappear back into the mixture:


This is when I added my scent, which was orange essential oil:


Then I stirred in some ground apricot seeds (the photo turned out blurry, so I didn't post it) before pouring the whole batch into my mold:


By the way, can you guess what kind of soap I made? Orange roughy! Get it? Hahaha!

I covered the mold and wrapped it with a towel for insulation:


As the saponification process continued, it went through a stage called gelling. This started in the center:


When I checked it several hours later, it had fully gelled:


Eventually it became solid again, and the next day I unmolded the block and cut it into slices:


Ta da...a block of handmade soap:


At that point, it still needed to cure for 4-6 weeks. Curing ensures that it's fully saponified so it's nice and mild, plus some of the water evaporates so the bar is harder and will last longer.

I've still got a couple more weeks to wait before using it, but today I thought I'd make a gift box for one of the soap bars. My inspiration was the Box & Bag Blog Hop we'd had a few weeks ago. Since my mold happens to yield 2 3/4" square bars, I figured our X2-2940 Square Box Template would fit the bill perfectly. (And, hey, it also happens to be on sale this month!)

I think the finished box turned out pretty cute decorated with 0460F Tub Turtle:


I used ultrafine glitter topped with Glossy Accents to add a sparkly, shiny look to the bubbles and water:


The saying is 0078D Bubbly Day, and I cut out the image, saying, and both matted layers with Nestabilities. (The image and saying are also in 10968MC Spa Turtle Clear Set.) The soap shows through the window, which is lined with acetate:

And it only took me about 15 minutes to put it together...for a lovely handmade gift that I'll be pleased to give soon!

43 comments:

Jovita said...

Wow that's a lot of work, I'm sure it smells great. Thanks for the step by step process. I wonder if you can stamp your soap with an Inky image... that would be neat ;)

Jovita said...

Forgot to mention that the little gift box you created is wonderful :)

Chelsea said...

Love the googles! You make it look and sound easy. Thanks for sharing!

Rochelle said...

I love the box, what a terrific gift that would make.

I've made melt and pour soaps before, but I'me impressed that you make the "real stuff".

I really do like your goggles. They're girly, not your typical manly safety goggles.

Thebug415 said...

WOW...didn't realize how much went into this! I was thinking of doing this with my girls for holiday gifts...but might change my mind...lol.

Patricia said...

Wow Jackie. You make it look so easy. I have always wanted to try it and maybe now I will. I love those beautiful handmade soaps and your packaging makes it the perfect present.

Patricia

Jackie Wamhoff said...

Thnaks for your nice comments, ladies. :-) Jovi, I hadn't thought about stamping on the soap...hmm, that's a neat idea. Chelsea and Rochelle, those goggles are designed for cutting onions (no tears!), but they work great for this purpose. Laura, that would be fun to do with the girls (assuming they're older and, of course, in full protective gear). Hope you and Patricia decide to give it a try!

Anonymous said...

Inside YouTube video embed script you can also stipulate parameters matching to your hope
like width, height or even border colors.

Have a look at my web page http://www.telodono.com/NikoleJAD

Anonymous said...

Its pleasant humorous YouTube video, I always go to go to see YouTube
web page designed for comical videos, since there is much more stuff available.


Here is my website ... www.19ja.com

Anonymous said...

A number of viewers are keen to watch comic video clips, but I like to watch terrible videos on YouTube.


Also visit my web blog; website

Anonymous said...

Actually picture is the presentation of some one’s feelings; it provides the lesson to the viewers.



my webpage: website

Anonymous said...

I usually don’t post in Blogs but your blog forced me to, amazing
work.. beautiful …

Stop by my blog post :: http://www.mivinildecorativo.com/index.php?option=com_blog&view=comments&pid=118896&Itemid=0

Anonymous said...

Ηowdy woulԁ you mіnd letting me knοw whiсh web hοst
уou're working with? I'νе loaded yοur blog in
3 complеtely diffегеnt ωeb brοwseгѕ and I must ѕay this blog loаdѕ
а lot faster thеn most. Cаn you suggeѕt a gоod
hosting pгovider at a fаir pricе?
Thanκ you, I appreciatе it! wapmaze.com

Anonymous said...

Howdy wοuld yоu mіnd lettіng
me knοw whісh web hοst you're working with? I've loaded уour blog
in 3 complеtely different wеb browsers аnԁ I must say this
blog loads a lot faster thеn mοѕt.
Ϲan you suggest a good hosting prοvider
at a faiг ρrісe? Thаnκ уou,
I appreciate it! wapmaze.com
Also see my website: wapmaze.com

Anonymous said...

Hurrah! Its also pleasant post about JavaScript, I am in fact keen of learning JavaScript.
thanks admin

my webpage www.auschat.com.au

Anonymous said...

This paragraph will assist the internet people for creating new website
or even a weblog from start to end.

my page: seijis.net

Anonymous said...

It’s very easy to find out any matter on web as compared to books,
as I fount this article at this web site.

Also visit my site chatamici.altervista.org
my web page - http://www.hiarticles.com/Mobile-Coupons-Connected-Articles.htm

Anonymous said...

In my residence when I take bored, afterward I simply ON my PC and open YouTube web page to
watch the YouTube video lessons.

Here is my site: website

Anonymous said...

Hi, I can’t understand how to add your site in my rss reader.

Can you Help me, please

Here is my webpage: http://ourfetishspace.adulgence.com
Also see my site - easymods.co.uk

Anonymous said...

Wow! this cartoon type YouTube video I have seen when I was in primary level and at
the present I am in academy and watching that again
here.

My web-site www.tastyzeppelin.com
My site :: website

Anonymous said...

If you are free to watch funny videos online then
I suggest you to go to see this website, it contains in fact thus humorous not only movies but
also additional information.

My weblog - http://cloob.kifcd.com/

Anonymous said...

thanks !! very helpful post!

my blog post website

Anonymous said...

Such a usefule blog…wow !!!!

Also visit my web-site ... elahan.com

Anonymous said...

Hi my friends, how is everything? Here it is in fact fastidious YouTube
movies collection. i enjoyed a lot.

Feel free to visit my blog post; website

Anonymous said...

Inside YouTube video embed script you can also stipulate parameters matching to your hope like width, height or even border colors.



Feel free to visit my blog: http://www.ampmcomputersinc.com

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, yup no doubt Google is finest in support of blogging however today word press
is also fastidious as a blogging since its Web optimization is nice defined already.


my page - http://moodle.makeevacom.com/user/view.php?id=14246&course=1

Anonymous said...

thanks !! very helpful post!

Stop by my page http://anctvvideos.com/

Anonymous said...

I am truly eager of watching comic videos at youtube, and this videos is truly so comic, hehehhe.



Look into my web page: onlinephotoclub.com
my page :: website

Anonymous said...

Hurrah! Its also pleasant post about JavaScript, I am in fact keen of learning
JavaScript. thanks admin

my web-site ... http://sev4.social-city.org
my web page: website

Anonymous said...

Okay you are true, YouTube is best video distribution site, as YouTube is
a lightly no much streaming time rather than other web sites.


Also visit my homepage ... be4game.com

Anonymous said...

What’s up friend, what a quality is! For this YouTube video, I
am in fact pleassant, because I have never seen pleasant quality YouTube
video before,

Also visit my webpage ... http://digitalhobbyfarm.com/TawannaSp
my site: website

Anonymous said...

It’s amazing in favor of me to have a website, which is valuable in
support of my knowledge. thanks admin

Feel free to surf to my site; ybatv.org

Anonymous said...

It’s my first pay a visit to this web site, and I am in fact surprised to see such
a fastidious feature YouTube video posted at this point.


my webpage www.epicturtles.com

Anonymous said...

This text is worth everyone’s attention. How
can I find out more?

Here is my blog :: http://shopourclosets.com/
My web page - website

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha, what a comic this YouTube record is!
We are still laughing, thanks to admin who had posted at
this web page.

Also visit my web blog: freelancehood.com

Anonymous said...

Actually picture is the presentation of some one’s feelings; it provides
the lesson to the viewers.

Here is my blog post onlinebestvideos.net

Anonymous said...

I am John, how are you everybody? This article posted at this website is really good.
my site - website

Anonymous said...

I am John, how are you everybody? This article posted at this website is really good.


Feel free to visit my site ... armsoc.org

Anonymous said...

What’s up friend, what a quality is! For this YouTube video, I am in fact pleassant, because I have never seen pleasant quality
YouTube video before,

Feel free to visit my homepage; http://www.freepressreleasenow.com

Anonymous said...

If you want to improve your knowledge only keep visiting this website and be
updated with the most recent news update posted here.


Have a look at my web page - http://www.searchingforthenextbigthing.com/DemetraSp
my website > website

Anonymous said...

This article is really a pleasant one it helps new net people,
who are wishing for blogging.

Feel free to visit my web blog: scottgrimes.net

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your help!

Here is my homepage ... marketing-craigslist-facebook-twitter-youtube-ebay.info

Anonymous said...

Hello dear, me plus my mom are as well watch
comical video clips except after I done my homework

My homepage disciplesconnections.com