Sunday, August 21, 2011

Dressed-Up HoneyPOP Snowman

Recently I visited the Archiver's store in Coon Rapids and showed this HoneyPOP card to Rachel, one of their friendly associates:


When I opened the card, this pop-out snowman greeted us:


Rachel exclaimed how cute it was, and then she paused for a moment and said, "Wouldn't it be fun to add a little scarf to the snowman?"

Well, that one got me thinking! It can be a bit tricky to add elements to the honeycomb shape itself, because the card needs to be able to fold flat for mailing. But I couldn't resist experimenting...so I started making my card as usual.

First, I stamped the penguin, hat, twig arm, and saying from 11054MC Penguin's Pal HoneyPOP Clear Set and added the images. Then I scored at 4 3/16" and 4 5/16", folded my card in half, and opened it back up again.

After I stamped and cut out the snowman-shaped piece on my White Honeycomb Pad, I placed it on the right side of the score marks and traced around the snowman with a pencil:


I flipped the snowman piece over to the left side of the score marks and traced again:


Both the snowman piece and the card base were white, so I decided to add a little definition by sponging light blue ink around my pencil marks:


(At this point, you can erase the pencil marks if you wish. I just left mine as is, because they didn't really show up once I glued in my snowman piece.)

I added a small strip of red-lined tape on the neck area:


Next, I peeled off the release paper and adhered a 6" piece of red ribbon to the card at the center:


I glued one side of my snowman piece right on top of the ribbon:


Then I used my glue stick on the other side of the snowman piece, compressed the honeycomb paper with my fingers, and closed up the card to adhere it. When I opened my card, this is how it looked:


I pulled the left ribbon across the snowman and put a tiny square of red-lined tape on the ribbon. Then I pulled the right ribbon across the left ribbon and adhered it into place.

I put another square of red-lined tape onto the right ribbon:


Finally, I flipped the right ribbon up and over before gently pressing down to adhere. I also snipped both ends of the ribbon at an angle:


Ta da...a honeycomb snowman with a ribbon scarf:


I chose a lightweight ribbon so it would bend easily, and it did indeed fold up nicely into place when I closed my card.

Thanks to Rachel for her neat suggestion. Please let us know if you decide to give this a try!

8 comments:

Jovita said...

Very cute, wonderful idea to add a scarf!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

LOVE this idea! Definitely need to try!

Susie said...

Love the entire card. The scarf was a wonderful addition.

mommaladystamper said...

I really like this card. I'll have to try this one!!!! Alice Roushia

Emily said...

This is super cute! Love the Honey Pop Collection :)

Tanja said...

Oh, I´m a very big fan of your site. It´s a great idea. Thank´s for sharing your ideas to us.
Greetings from Germany
Tanja

Kathy JH said...

So cute - will have to give this a try

Jackie Wamhoff said...

I sure appreciate your comments, ladies. Glad you liked it, and thank you so much for taking the time to write!