Monday, September 5, 2011

A(n af)Fair to Remember

Today is Labor Day, which is always the last day of the season for the Minnesota State Fair. Steve and I went earlier during the week, and we had a great time.

Of course, we had to start with a healthy breakfast:


Okay, maybe not so healthy...even though they're made with cucumbers! Well, cucumbers that have been pickled, stuffed with cream cheese, dredged in cracker crumbs, and deep fried in oil, that is:


Sort of a strange way to begin the day, but they were actually pretty tasty...even at ten o'clock in the morning.

I had to follow up with a pork-chop-on-a-stick chaser:


We also had a corn dog, one of the items on our "required eating" list:


And later we enjoyed a banana and chocolate filled crepe:


Then we got mini donuts for "dessert":


This is how we felt after chowing down all that food:


We spotted that pig while taking the sky ride across the fairgrounds. It looked so funny trotting along on its two human legs. Obviously, someone had good luck in the Midway games.

That's the great thing about the fair...there is always something new to look at. For example, we paused for a moment when we happened upon these folks:


Then we realized they were participating in the "Giant Sing Along":


How funny, huh? Yep, that's something you only see at the fair!

The golden retrievers and their owners from the Minnesota Purebred Dog Breeders Association showed a few tricks:


While the antique tractors on Machinery Hill just sat there looking pretty:


This state fair replica built with Tinker Toys was interesting:


And then it was time to watch a kitchen demonstration:


My favorite demonstations of all, however, are the sales pitches. This Vitamix lady did a good job:


But, as far as I'm concerned, the Swiss Peeler guy is the absolute best in "watch and buy" entertainment. We stand around and listen to him every year. I've already got two complete sets of his products:


Oh, and did I mention how fashionable the fairgoers were this year? Steve couldn't decide whether he liked this hat:


Or this hat:


Or perhaps this hat:


We made some new friends throughout the day, too:


I was a little scared by this character I met on the street:


Yeah, I'm joking. In fact, I got in on the "posing" action, too:


Not just once, but again:


And yet again:


(What do you call those photo boards, anyway? I think we're going to have to start a collection of pictures we take with them!)

Finally, we ended our evening by watching a live broadcast of the local news on KSTC-TV Channel 45:


It was fun to get a "behind the scenes" perspective before they went on air.

And that, Inky readers, was the culmination of another annual visit to the "Great Minnesota Get-Together." Happy Labor Day...I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

6 comments:

Dee in N.H. said...

That looks like a blast! I love going to the fair! Not so sure about those fried pickles though...LOL!

Susie said...

Great photos.

Gennet T said...

I didn't make it to The Fair this year. The pictures you've posted are the best selection I've seen. Thanks for sharing!

Deb Zachrich said...

Looks like you had a great time! The fairgrounds is only about 1/2 mile from my friend's house, but I've never been up to visit her during the fair. Looks like a fun one, though!

Marie said...

I'm exhausted just reading about your adventures. If I had a day like that I would sleep for a week! Looks like you and Steve had a great time. TFS

Jackie Wamhoff said...

Those pickles really were surprisingly good, Dee, but I was hesitant at first, too. Deb, hope you'll get a chance to visit sometime. Marie, I woke up the next day with a grease hangover, LOL!

Thanks for your nice comments about the photos, Susie and Gennet. I appreciated reading what all of you wrote! :-)