Thursday, October 13, 2011

Halloween Cookie Can

I have no idea why, but I've been in a real cookie-baking mood lately. Steve has been taking most of them to work, which is a good thing or else I turn into the cookie monster. Not a pretty sight.

After testing my fourth recipe this week, I started thinking about creative containers to put them in. Of course, our Gifts In A Snap template stamps are perfect for small goodies.

For example, 10189X Tall Bag Template decorated with 10154F Kitty In Disguise and 0494J Charm School Background makes an adorable treat holder:


For larger batches, altered cans fit the bill nicely. I found this snack size Pringles can that caught my attention:


The small one holds about 10-12 cookies, or you could use the larger Pringles canister. What about bean dip? I spotted a can of almonds that was tempting, as well. As long as it has a reusable lid, it's fair game!

At first, I was concerned the sour cream and onion flavor would linger in the can. (My nearest Walgreens was out of the regular variety, and I didn't want to drive around town looking for them.) In the end, it didn't matter because it washed up clean and odor-free.

I cut a piece of Darcie's patterned cardstock to 4 1/2" x 9 3/4" and placed a strip of red-lined tape along one of the short edges:


Red-lined tape is so strong that just a single strip of the 1/4" wide tape held it onto the can after I rolled it around the outside.

To embellish the covered can, I layered narrow green ribbon onto wider orange ribbon using 1/8" red-lined tape. Then I adhered it around the top and bottom of the can with additional red-lined tape:


For the side of the can, I stamped the "Trick or Treat" saying from 10919MC Halloween Hijix Clear Set, punched it with a circle punch, and layered it with foam tape onto a scalloped circle I'd punched from green cardstock.

I put the saying on a strip of orange ribbon and placed a bow (which was simple to make with the Bow-Easy) above it:


Finally, I snapped the lid onto the can and used red-lined tape to adhere the ribbon strip to the lid. I added more tape on the lid for my image panel, as well:


You can see how I stamped and colored the kitty image twice, cutting out just the ghost part to pop up with foam tape:


The last cookie didn't quite fit into the can, so I "helped" by eating it:


Sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the job!

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

What a great cookie tin!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful idea for cookie tin to fill and send off to people in the military.
Thank U 4 inspiration
ColleenB.

Ali said...

Love this, TY for sharing- Will do Christmas themed ones! :) ~ Ali