Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday Stamping With Melissa Cash: Teacup Mousies

Like many of us, Melissa first learned to stamp when she saw an embossing demo in a little craft store more than 20 years ago.

"I was hooked," she says. "That day I bought some stamps, ink, embossing powder and my beloved Milwaukee Heat Gun."

She describes her stamping style as "everything from whimsy to vintage. I really don’t know how my style came to be, I think it just evolved."

On the "whimsy" side, one of the sets she chose was 10953MC Teacup Mousies #2 Clear Set (drawn by artist Tammy DeYoung):


When asked if she had any advice or tips to share with our readers, Melissa offered this: "I think you need to be open to trying new techniques and styles of stamping. Check your local stamp store for classes, there is always something new to learn."

This card shows a fun technique, which is coloring on kraft cardstock:


Here are her instructions:

Fold piece of 4 1/4” x 11” kraft cardstock in half to create card base. Add solid yellow and light blue print panels to kraft card base, and attach to bottom section of base card. Add solid yellow panel to kraft panel, and attach to center of base card.

Stamp daisy mouse image with black into onto kraft cardstock, and color with Prismacolor pencils. Cut image out with circle dies/punches, and layer to light blue, yellow, and kraft circles. Add image to center of card with foam mounting tape. Add ribbon, twine, and buttons.

* * *

Swapping out the white cardstock for a darker color is something I always forget to do myself, so I think I'm going to pull out my kraft stash for next time. I also want to try layering buttons and bows.

Thanks to Melissa for sharing her adorable card, and to YOU for joining us today. Hope you have a "micey nice" rest of the weekend!

7 comments:

stamping sue said...

I like to use my prisma color pencils on kraft cardstock, too.
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Bridget said...

I have never tried pencils on kraft cardstock because I didn't think the color with show up on it. I will have to give it a try. Great card! I love the colors & all the layers too. BTW- I received my Prize Package from your Blog Hop in the mail the other day & I love them! Thanks so much!

Marie said...

Lovely mousie card, Melissa. I love the Kraft coloring! Great LO.

Anonymous said...

What a cute card. Brings a smile to my face.

Debbie said...

Oh so mice! Love this card and the Kraft paper and prismacolors! Thanks for sharing!

Jovita said...

Wonderful Mousie card Melissa, I really like the prismacolor pencils on kraft, great coloring and love how you did the bow.

Melissa Cash said...

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments! I really enjoyed coloring this sweet little Mousie image, she just makes me smile!