Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sunday Stamping With Melissa Cash: Dottie & Brushed Butterfly

When I asked Melissa to name 5-10 tools that she relies on most when she creates (besides stamps, of course), this is what she listed:

1. Milwaukee Heat Gun/Embossing Powders
2. Cuttlebug/Dies/Embossing Folders
3. Border Punches
4. Markers/Inks/Prismacolor Pencils
5. Internet--There are so many talented people sharing on the net. Whenever I need inspiration, I head to the internet.

I have to admit that I haven't pulled out my heat gun and powders for quite some time, but I've made regular use of the others tools she mentioned. How about you? Have you used any of these items lately?

It's funny how Melissa named the internet as a tool. Of course, she's absolutely right! In fact, I hope you find some inspiration of your own from today's post.

For the first project, Melissa used 10978MC Delightful Dogs #2 Clear Set:


She featured the dog image (0454F Dottie) and a saying (0381D Sittin' & Thinkin') in her adorable card:


Here are the instructions she provided:

Use a green notecard for base. Layer print panel to purple panel, leaving some space at the top to stamp “Woof” in black ink. Adhere to center of green card.

Wrap ribbon around the card and tie into a bow. Bow should be to the left side of the card. Stamp dog image in black ink onto white cardstock and color with markers. Cut image panel with rectangular dies/punches. Layer to green and purple panels. Attach image panel with foam mounting tape to right side of card.

Stamp sentiment in black ink onto white cardstock and cut out with circle die/punch. Layer to purple scallop circle die/punch. Add rhinestones to corners.

* * *

I also asked Melissa to describe one area that she is trying to improve in regarding her own creative style, techniques, or process.

She replied, "I love it when I see a clean and simple card or project, but I have the hardest time creating with the clean and simple style. Sometimes it can take me hours to create a simple card because I tend to overthink the project I am working on."

It's funny how sometimes the seemingly most simple layouts can actually take a while to create. Take the stamps in 11014SC Brushed Calligraphy #3 Clear Set, for instance:


Now, I'm not exactly sure how long Melissa spent making this card (with 1524F Brushed Butterfly and 10077F Master Calls Butterfly as the wood mounted versions):


However, I sure love the results! Melissa incorporates great details in her "simple" cards, from the the dry embossed green piece and pumpkin orange middle panel to the double-matted butterfly image complete with glittery wings...all topped off with a pretty bow.

This is how she did it:

Fold piece of 5 1/2” x 8 1/2” green cardstock in half to create card base. Layer orange and pink print panels to card base. Emboss scrap of green cardstock and apply horizontally to the middle of card.

Layer orange print paper to scrap of green cardstock, add ribbon/bow and layer vertically to left side of the card. Ink butterfly image with a pink waterbased marker onto white cardstock and lightly watercolor around the wings. Ink sentiment with black ink and stamp onto same panel as butterfly.

Cut sentiment/butterfly panel out with circles dies/punches and layer to pink and green panels. Attach sentiment panel to card with foam mounting tape.

* * *

Thanks so much to Melissa Cash for joining us during February as our Inky Guest Designer. It's been an absolute pleasure getting to know her and seeing her wonderful projects. I hope you've enjoyed them as much as I have!

I wholeheartedly agree with Melissa's parting comments to our Inky readers:

Follow your heart and embrace your own style. There are no mistakes in stamping, just opportunities for creativity.

2 comments:

Marie said...

Delightful cards, Melissa. Love the coloring on that cute doggie. Thanks for inspiring us this past month.

Shalady said...

Great cards. I'm the opposite. It is easier for me to do C&S. If you hand me 2 different pieces patterned paper I start twitching. :) And I love your quote!