Tuesday, February 14, 2012

"Try It Different" Tuesday: Bee Benton

Last month at the Mesquite show, I asked Tina Covington if she would create a set of projects for our "Try It Different" Tuesday spot. She selected 11082MC Bee Benton Clear Set to use for them:


Besides liking this adorable bear, Tina says, "I had some DP (designer paper) that was a perfect match":


But, she noted, "the paper came from a 6 x 6 pad, so the quantity was small, and I was thinking maybe not everyone would have perfect paper, so I decided to make a card that anyone could make with just some strips of yellow cardstock.

"All I did was cut strips of cardstock 3/4" tall and round the corners (by hand with scissors), making each strip smaller than the one before. [I used] four of those, plus the top one, which is 1" tall. I then laid them out on a piece of black cardstock and trimmed around them, leaving a black border":


Tina continued explaining, "I then took a second piece of black cardstock and traced the whole bee hive on to it, to get a card back. I bent the top edge done of the back piece and adhered to the front one, creating a fun shaped card for Bee Benton":


I think Tina's card turned out awesome, and the unusual shape is so much fun! Here's an angled view:


But she didn't stop there:

"Now, that lead me to my next project, as I was thinking that I could create my own HoneyPOP [card]. I have made at least 12 of the HoneyPOP cards and I think I have taught different ones at least 6 times, so by now, I kinda know how it works. But, I have never tried it without a stamp to guide me. It worked, but I like [using the HoneyPOP] stamps the best! So, what I did, is I took the last card and shrunk it down on my printer to make a small pattern. I then folded it in half and traced around it on the honeycomb pad."

This is the outside of her card:


And here's that honeycomb hive she designed:


When Tina made her own beehive, she wasn't aware that we already had plans to release 11087MC Bumblebee HonetPOP Clear Set:


What's that saying about great minds thinking alike? Actually, I can't take credit for this idea. Like Tina, we'd had several customer requests for this one. Here is my sample card using the set:


And the best part, of course:


Thanks so much to Tina for sharing her innovative cards with us. Whether you decide to use regular stamp sets and experiment with your own ideas, or try the new HoneyPOP sets, we hope you'll be inspired to stamp and have a good time!

10 comments:

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

Oh my goodness! She totally rocked with her cards and I love yours as well Jackie!

Tina said...

Thanks again for giving me the opportunity to be a part of your "Try It Different" Tuesday! I had so much fun doing it! And I love the bee card you did! I really like the smaller honeycomb sitting on the bench better than the size I did ... guess I will need to get that new set ... well, of course!

stamping sue said...

Great cards! and yes, I was one of the ones who asked for bee themed honeycomb! can't wait to get my hands on this set. thanks for listening.
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Great cards!

Dawn's Craft Place said...

Oh my goodness these sets are wonderful-LOVE a bear stamp and these cards are adorable as can be.
Great lead in to the next set...lol
Happy Valentines Day

Marie said...

Bee-u-tiful cards. A real honey of a display. Love all of them.

Jackie Wamhoff said...

Thanks for your sweet comments, ladies, and also again to Tina for such fantastic projects. It was so fun to post this...and to read your feedback! (Glad you liked it, Sue. I was thinking of you!)

stamping sue said...

Jackie, it is nice to know that companies do take our (customer) suggestions to heart and if you can take a suggestion and create! yeah for you!
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Jovita said...

Tina did a fabulous job using Benton, love the honeycombs.

Jackie your card is adorable as well. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it's really informative. I'm gonna
watch out for brussels. I will appreciate if you continue this in future.
Lots of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!
Feel free to surf my site :: perfumes baratos