Friday, March 30, 2012

Friday Funnies: Deceptive Dishes

With April Fool's Day coming up this weekend, I thought you might enjoy these fake-out foods...whether you choose to use them for a prank or not!

There are tons of recipes available to trick your tongue, such as this seemingly common breakfast item:


Can you believe it's really cauliflower soup with garam masala-spiced toasted-Os cereal?

And have you seen the ever popular meatloaf cake:


For dinner, you could have dessert first and then enjoy your entree! While some recipes make savory ingredients look sweet, others do just the opposite. I'd love to try this cashew chicken stir fry:


Hold the soy sauce, please!

These hamburger cookies look yummy, too:


I won't be experimenting in the kitchen this weekend, however, because Steve and I will be at the Stamping by the Sea convention in Ocean City, MD. If you're planning to attend, please stop by the Inky booth and say hello!

In the meantime, how about we "dish up" some BLOG CANDY? If you've got a favorite faux recipe to share, please post the link in the comments section of this post and/or describe what it is. Or just let me know which of the above foods you'd like to try.

I'll take entries until next Tuesday at midnight Central time for a chance to win our 10961LC Prepping Chefs Clear Set (drawn by artist Ronnie Walter):


The winner will be randomly chosen on Wednesday, and I'll post the results here. Good luck, and I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

13 comments:

Shalady said...

Ok, this is halarioius! The only faux food I've known of is staging for pictures. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to find something to do for my family!

Tami B. said...

How fun...I don't know of any, but I'll be checking back to see all the ideas everyone else posts.

CheckerBeads said...

love it! for my BIL's birthday, they had cupcakes that looked just like hamburgers! they tasted great but it was so funny to see the burger and taste cake.

Anne

SheriE. said...

These are too funny! They are all great, but I think I'd like to try the meatloaf cake.

Chelsea said...

Those hamburger cookies look awesome! I'll pass on the cauliflower soup with cereal. :)

Sue D said...

Very fun! When the kids were at home I made a similar meatloaf cake.

stamping sue said...

I used to make mock apple pie with ritz crackers (recipe on box) of course this was years ago when I was a kid. wonder if this recipe is still on the box. will have to check when I get a box of Ritz.
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Jean said...

Makes me want to cook, no! Really cool dishes tho

Unknown said...

Can't say that I have any recipes. The closest are the dirt pudding cups with crushed oreos and candy worms. The hamburger cookies are a hoot.

mari said...

not sure how to fix the fact that it says I am unknown above. Suggestions??

Krissy said...

When I was a little girl, the first dinner I ever made for my Dad was "Meatloaf a la Mode". I made a meatloaf in a pie dish and served it in a wedge with a scoop of mashed potatoes on top. Like a great Dad, he said it was the best meatloaf he ever ate!!!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doodlepie said...

Our prank this year had nothing to do with food, but my youngest and myself painted the shower bar of soap with clear nail polish. It still feels like a bar of soap, but will not suds up. We were in hysterics listening to my husband figure out something was wrong when he was showering.