Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday Funnies: Friday the 13th


An excerpt reprinted from LiveScience:

The origin of the link between bad luck and Friday the 13th is murky. The whole thing might date to Biblical times (the 13th guest at the Last Supper betrayed Jesus). By the Middle Ages, both Friday and 13 were considered bearers of bad fortune.

In modern times, the superstition permeates society. Here are [some] of our favorite Friday-the-13th facts:

1. Fear of Friday the 13th — one of the most popular myths in science — is called paraskavedekatriaphobia as well as friggatriskaidekaphobia. Triskaidekaphobia is fear of the number 13.

2. Many hospitals have no room 13, while some tall buildings skip the 13th floor and some airline terminals omit Gate 13.

3. President Franklin D. Roosevelt would not travel on the 13th day of any month and would never host 13 guests at a meal. Napoleon and President Herbert Hoover were also triskaidekaphobic, with an abnormal fear of the number 13.

4. Mark Twain once was the 13th guest at a dinner party. A friend warned him not to go. "It was bad luck," Twain later told the friend. "They only had food for 12." Superstitious diners in Paris can hire a quatorzieme, or professional 14th guest.

* * *

And from USA TODAY:

Historically, the Friday the 13th bad luck tradition or superstition dates back to the fact that Christ was crucified on a Friday and 13 men were present at the Last Supper.

Traditional religious beliefs aside, more of us now probably consider Friday the 13th as having as much or more potential good luck as bad luck.

That's especially true of professional gamblers and amateurs.

Danny Sheridan, USA TODAY's longtime popular sports handicapper, says many sports bettors think they can cash in on good luck on Friday the 13th.

With amateur gamblers, "bingo" and other games of chance enjoy a similar popularity on this date.

I enjoy joking with family or friends about what they might do on this date that could turn out to be lucky or unlucky. For me, Friday the 13th is a little like April Fools' Day. If you don't take it seriously, it can be a lot of fun.

It reminds me too of the spoof of the first Friday the 13th in 1982 when Ann Moeller of Clio, Mich., gained national attention by calling it a "Blame Someone Else Day." Good or bad, the credit or blame is yours.

Whatever you call it, Friday the 13th, like every Friday, could and should start a fun weekend.

* * *

So should we test our luck for a fun start to the weekend? Leave a comment at the end of this post telling me about something that makes YOU feel like a lucky person, and you'll be entered in a BLOG CANDY giveaway for a surprise Inky clear stamp set.

This one is super fast, with only one lucky day to play...today. Tomorrow morning, I'll randomly choose the winner and post that person's name...so please check back to see if you've won. Happy Friday the 13th, and good luck to you!

5 comments:

Linda R. said...

I feel lucky today because I'm going to a class at my LSS. I know I'll have fun and get to hang around with a bunch of nice people. And I get to learn something while I create something. How lucky can I get?

CheckerBeads said...

I am lucky- just my luck is usually bad! hehehehe

Anne

Sue D said...

We raise goats and this year twins (girl and boy) were born on Palm Sunday which was also April Fool's Day, a boy was born on Easter and today another little girl was born. I named her Lucky.
I feel lucky having all these baby goats.
PS In case you are wondering the other babies were named April, Foolish and Easter.

Kimmy said...

I just feel right where I should be in my life. I'm pregnant with our first and feels God's blessings everyday :)

stamping sue said...

I feel lucky when I wake up without any pain so tody is a lucky day plus I plan to stamp today.
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/