Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sunday Stamping With Paula Williamson: Teacup Mousie

The tagline on Paula Williamson's blog is "the wonderful world of playing with colored pencils and stamps..." and, boy, she sure does that well!

One of my favorite things about stamping has always been the coloring part, especially with pencils. Once I learned the Gamsol technique, I was hooked immediately and have never looked back.
Paula admittedly feels the same way, with this advice to share about coloring:
Practice, practice, practice and don't be afraid to experiment! My coloring looks really different today, from when I first started playing with pencils & Gamsol. It just naturally evolves the more you color and learn from errors.
I color a lot. I could color every day, but eventually cards do have to get put together, haha. If you only pick up your pencils once a month, or when you need a card to give, chances are, your coloring won't see much improvement. Get to know your colors and you will grab pencils more quickly and know how to expand your color palette.
Blend blues over greens and orange over pink. Colors will look much more vibrant and alive if you use more than one shade of any pencil. My go-to color for doing my shading is French Grey 90%. I use this pencil over every color to make my shadows. If you don't have the largest of the Prismacolor sets, then you would need to purchase it separately. Anyone who has taken my class knows what magic is in this pencil!
For today week's project, Paula started with 10952MC Teacup Mousies #1 Clear Set (drawn by artist Tammy DeYoung):


Just take a look at her words in action:


Here's a close-up view of that gorgeous pencil blending:


"Sometimes I say that my cards are plain," confesses Paula, "because that's how I see them. I like to show off my image and that is always the focal point to my creations.

"I blog surf and practically drool at so many talented artists who have that knack for embellishing. I try and study all the little extras that get put into a card I love...but when push comes to shove and I am making a card...they are lucky to see a button."

Well, I guess this is a lucky day because we did indeed get a button on this card:


But Paula is being modest, because you can see how she actually incorporates all kinds of details. For instance, I love how she pulled the twine from beneath the image panel and around the dry embossed layer (not to mention the pretty stitching and distressed inking):


She also used a white gel pen to color in the polka dots on the teacup. "[After it's dry] you can take a blending stump that was used with the darker grey/blues and rub it over the white polka dots that would be in the 'shaded' portion of your image. (For me, the shading is always on the left & my highlights on the right.)"

Then she added a layer or two of Glaze Clear Gloss Pen to the polka dots for some shine:


Finally, glitter was added with the Quickie Glue Pen and Ultrafine Glitter:


"The tip of the glue pen is just like a ball point pen and this will allow a fine scattering of dots," says Paula. "Just pounce the pen up and down until and pour on the glitter. I always start in one area and radiate outwards, lessening the amount of dots. For these flowers, I started near the flowers center and moved towards the tip of the petals."

But she didn't stop there! Paula decorated the inside of her card, too:


Dare I say it? Yup, that's one micey nice card indeed!

Prismacolor Pencils: White, Peach 939, Jasmin 1012, Sunburst Yellow 917, Yellow Chartreuse 1004, Spanish Orange 1003, Mineral Orange 1033, Cadmium Orange 118 Carmine Red 926, Cloud Blue 1023, Cool Grey 50% 1063, Cool Grey 70% 1065, French Grey 50% 1072, French Grey 90% 1076, Chocolate 1082

Supplies: 10952MC Teacup Mousies #1 Clear Set, Memento Black Ink, White Cardstock, Basic Grey 6x6 Pad in Picadilly, Prismacolor Pencils, Gamsol, Ranger Distress Ink in Vintage Photo, Ink Blending Tool, Linen Thread, Button, Glaze Clear Gloss Pen, White Gel Pen, Ultrafine Glitter, Quickie Glue Pen, Helmar ScrapDots, Creative Memories Oval Cutting System, Cuttlebug Textile Embossing Folder

4 comments:

Mrs. Swandog said...

Your card is so cute! I love your coloring. I also am a big fan of Prisma pencils. I have purchased a set of the stix for backgrounds. Inky Antics stamps are the cutest!

Debbie H. said...

I love this card and all the beautiful details! I must say this is one of my FAV Inky sets. Thank you, Paula, for sharing your lovely techniques!

Sue D said...

Very pretty card--I like your coloring and all the extra special details.

Tex / Bev Gerard said...

Oh how adorable! Love the coloring and your sweet details galore!