Friday, August 17, 2012

Friday Funnies: Gallery of Regrettable Food

Yesterday I made strawberry chocolate chip muffins based on this recipe. I took photos along the way, thinking it would be nice to share them with you.

Unfortunately, the batter was kind of a funny fleshy-beige color:


But once I pulled them out of the oven, they didn't look too bad:


That is, until I opened one up. I thought they were a little gooey-looking and not very appealing:


They tasted pretty good, but next time I might reduce the amount of strawberries and not puree half of them.

Anyway, looking at my pictures reminded me of this hiliarious book I'd picked up several years ago:


In addition to being an author of several books, James Lileks is a columnist for the Star-Tribune (our local newspaper).

The Gallery of Regrettable Food is "an introduction to foodstuffs and horrid recipes" from the 40s, 50s, and 60s. It's not a cookbook, but rather an examination of these "cultural artifacts of the era...[which] are irresistible when accompanied by Lileks's hilarious running commentary."

In the section of his website devoted to promoting the book, he provides a plethora of examples that will give you an idea of what the book itself is like, such as this vintage Better Homes & Gardens cover:


"Brunches began the day someone started too long into the sun then had someone throw a loaf of Velveeta at her head," writes Lileks. "A new meal! Based entirely on yellow! Eventually other colors were introduced--but they were bright. Brunch bright!"

"Not many recipes call for shellac and spackle," he notes, "but if you’ve got some on hand, you’re in luck":


It's followed by this creepy photo:

And an accompanying story: "Helen paused for a moment, letting her hostess’s words roll on and on, as she realized that brunch was looking at her, and brunch did not approve."

Funny, right? If you're intrigued, you can find more here. By the way, I don't have any vested interest in promoting Mr. Lileks...except to hopefully spread a few smiles!

2 comments:

Linda R. said...

Those muffins really don't look that bad....what if you had baked them longer? Thanks for showing me that site...amazing vintage drawings!

Jackie Wamhoff said...

I think you may be right about the baking time, Linda. Also I'd skip the puree, since it gave them a funny color. My nephew, Tyler, came over on Friday night...he ate two of them and happily took the rest home, so I guess they weren't so bad after all! Thanks for your comment. :-)