Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sunday Stamping With Anita Madden: Aviator Benton

Coloring your images can be one of the most challenging aspects of stamping. You've seen some wonderful examples on our blog in the past--which hopefully have inspired you--and this month we'll be showing you several more!

Of course, strong coloring techniques are not the only thing that make your projects look good. Adding just the right amount of embellishments is also a key factor.

I think you'll agree that Anita Madden has mastered both of these elements, and I'm just tickled to introduce her as the Inky Guest Designer for September:


Anita hails from Enon, Ohio, which is a small town in southwestern Ohio. Although I didn't know her when I first contacted her about doing a GD spot in late July, I was so excited to meet this lovely lady at the Stampaway show in Cincinnati last month.

For her first project, Anita used 11081MC Aviator Benton Clear Set (drawn by artist Darby New):



Look at the gorgeous card she created:


The wood mounted versions are 8822K Benton's Airplane and 0200D Just Flying By.

One of the many things I love about this card is how she used a cloud die from My Favorite Things to cut out the saying pieces:



Benton's goggles were given a shiny finish with Glossy Accents:


And it's hard to see in the photo, but Anita popped up the propeller with foam tape for some dimension:


Of course, her coloring and blending is just incredible:


Anita's secret is building layers...lots of layers, using more than one coloring medium. She starts with Copic markers and adds colored pencils on top.

When I asked Anita to explain more about her process, this is what she told me:

"I like to pick out my papers first, and then I color my images to match my papers. When I first started coloring stamps, I used only colored pencils. Then Copics came along and I refused to buy them. My gosh, they are sooo expensive and I wanted to spend that money on stamps--not markers!

"Well, I finally tried a few Copics and found that I liked them. I have a small collection of Copics, and I try to add a few new ones to my collection each month. I usually don't have all the shades of Copics that I need, so I "basecoat" the area with the lightest Copic color. Then I begin my shading process with colored pencils.

"I never use just one color of pencil for my shading. I use at least 2 pencils and sometimes up to 4 or 5 different pencils to build my layers of shading. I apply my lightest shade of colored pencil in small circles and blend it out with Gamsol.

"Then I'll add one shade of pencil at a time, going with a darker pencil each time and not blending out quite as far as the previous layer. I think by using more than one pencil for the shading, you get more depth. I like using the Copics as my basecoat because the marker is a lot faster than coloring in large areas with a pencil for your basecoat.

"If I am lucky enough to have different shades of Copics, then I will use those to color the area--dark to light. But even when I've used all Copics on an area, I ALWAYS come back in with colored pencil to add a touch more shading. Even if I had all 300+ Copics, I would still add my finishing touches with my colored pencils--I love them!"

So, there you have it....a few tips from a coloring queen!

* * *

How would you like to win your own 11081MC Aviator Benton Clear Set? Please leave a comment at the end of this post helping me welcome Anita as this month's Inky Guest Designer, and you'll be entered in a BLOG CANDY giveaway.

On Wednesday, September 5th, I'll randomly choose the winner for the same clear set that Anita used above and post that person's name...so please check back to see if you've won!

14 comments:

CJ Johnson said...

Stunning card. Love it. I appreciate your bold coloring.

Tress said...

Congratulations Anita! And thank you for sharing with us how you achieve such depth of color and shading in your images. The card is a joy to look at!

snailzpace said...

congratulations to my blogging buddy anita; enjoy your time as a guest designer! i've always loved your colouring with pencils/gamsol and now with copics, but i still refuse to buy them. lol.
linda

Dolly said...

Anita girlie, I love everything about your card. Can't wait to see what else you are going to put on Inky Antics blog. YOU are the QUEEN of coloring!!!!! PS: I love the words in the clouds. Love ya, Dolly

Sue D said...

Welcome Anita! Fantastic card--great coloring and layout. I like how you used the clouds for the sentiment and the tips on coloring with both copic markers and pencils.

stamping sue said...

Anita! great job! I color with color pencils all the time. I'm probably one of the last persons in crafting who hasn't gone copic.
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Craftdee said...

I probably am doing this the "wrong way around",as in I hopped over here from Anita's blog! I love this cute image, and, being a fan of colour, love how she has coloured this up! I use basically the same process; Copics and pencils, I love the way Copics blend, but in the tiny deepest shadows you can't go past the control pencils give. I agree that Anita has added the "perfect" amount of embellies too, let's that cute coloured image shine! Donna ☺

Cynthia H said...

This card is a great idea, especially since I have a little boy. He would love to have a little card or picture made like this. It would also be easy to change the colors and make it mature card for men (need more of those) without it getting too serious. Thanks for the ideas!

Steph said...

Oh my, I am totally inspired to try shading now! I am new to this and I LOVE this card and Anita's tips for mixing the copics and the pencils. Thanks so much! Welcome Anita!!

Anonymous said...

Interesting coloring technique!! I am always looking to see how others achieve those rich colors. Thanks for sharing!! Kathy G

Anonymous said...

cute card, I love the rich colors. KarenF.

ktfabian said...

I love your coloring...what an interesting technique! I don't have all the copics, yet, but I do have colored pencils, I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

ShackGal said...

Love the card and the clouds for sentiments is such a clever idea. I am trying to work with coloring techniques, so i really appreciate the detailed way you describe your technique. If you ever make a video i would like to see it. Thank you.

ShackGal said...

Love the card and the clouds for sentiments is such a clever idea. I am trying to work with coloring techniques, so i really appreciate the detailed way you describe your technique. If you ever make a video i would like to see it. Thank you.