Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sunday Stamping With Anita Madden: Decorating Snowman

Note: This is Day 2 of our Action Wobbles Halloween Co-Hop, with some new projects for you to view! Please see yesterday's post, which has been updated with the latest info.

* * *

Last week, Anita Madden made an adorable "regular" greeting card using one of our HoneyPOP sets. Today we're pleased to show you a HoneyPOP-style card created with 11118MC Decorating Snowman HoneyPOP Clear Set (drawn by artist Tammy DeYoung):


Pretty things happen when you take Echo Park patterned paper, topped with a snowflake die cut that has been sprinkled with Glamour Dust and topped with a pearl:


But we're not done yet...no way! Color the snowman with Copic markers and colored pencils, and blend with Gamsol.

Then outline in light blue (to give him definition and really make him stand out) and add Glossy Accents to his carrot nose:


Layer your card elements, and admire the lovely card front that you've got:

 
 For the card inside, stamp your Light Blue Honeycomb Paper Pad, cut out, and adhere for a wonderful pop-out surprise:


Anita colored the snowman image similar to the card front, and she added more Glamour Dust and Glossy Accents:


"I love using Glamour Dust," she says (which is a very ultrafine glitter), "but usually end up getting it everyone, especially on my clothes."

I have to say, if all of my cards ended up looking like this, I'd be happy to douse my wardrobe in Glamour Dust!

Here's another little tip (and I hope Anita won't cyber-pinch me when she reads this): Remember to stamp all of your images first and glue in the honeycomb piece at the end.

Anita confessed, "I forgot to stamp the ornament topper until after I had applied the honeycomb, so the topper is a little crooked." 

I agree that it can be difficult to stamp around a honeycomb piece that has already been glued in, and you may risk smooshing things.

Sometimes I find it helpful to lay out my stamps and figure out where I want them positioned inside the card:


Then I hold the cut-out honeycomb piece in place where it will be adhered later on, and I trace around one side of the piece with a pencil:


Next, I flip over the honeycomb piece and trace around the other side:


That gives me a pencil outline to follow when I stamp my elements so I know they'll end up in the right spot:


Finally, I erase the pencil marks, color as usual, and then finally glue in the honeycomb piece as the very last step.

"This was the first time I've ever worked with the honeycomb paper," Anita commented, "and I think I probably should have trimmed off the black stamping lines a little better. It's not bad for my first try, but don't look at it too closely!"

Personally, I think Anita's card looks awesome and you cannot tell that she isn't already a honeycomb pro! But if you see a black outline on part of your honeycomb piece from stamping the pattern, you can always outline the other half with a Micron pen. That makes it look like it's supposed to be that way, and the piece would stand out even better. One of our customers suggested this at a convention, and it's a brilliant solution.

Alternatively, you can stamp your honeycomb pattern piece using a tone-on-tone ink pad (such as a slightly darker blue on the Light Blue Honeycomb Paper Pad that Anita used), a Versamark Ink Pad, or a white pigment ink pad such as Brilliance Moonlight White. Any of these work nicely to camouflage the stamped outline.

Thanks so much to Anita for sharing her awesome card, and to you for visiting our blog today!

11 comments:

Jeana said...

WOW, I think this card is fantastic! The colors are so perfect and that snowman is adorable!

Karen said...

I love the way Anita mixes copics with pencils to get those color! Amazing

Julie Mcvay said...

Love the snowman. I agree with Karen..great coloring

Kate said...

Beautiful card. I love the colors just amazing.

Gail said...

I like that card very much - I have some honeycomb paper that I purchased out of state this summer and I need to use it - thanks for the idea! Have a great week!

Cropper hopper said...

Your card is so pretty! I love the honeypops and your choice of colors!

Mandee Gillen said...

Holy Moly!!! Can you say love? Great Job all of the detail is fabulous! Wow! Loved hopping with you!
Loves
Madge

Scrappin with the bug said...

How sweet. That little snowman is. Great tutorial too. Love the honey pop. Great job.

jordanbev5 said...

Thanks for the tutorial!! I gree, her card is gorgeous!! Love these honeycomb cards!!

MaryNSC said...

O MY goodness and I just LOVE SNOWMEN.. :O)

Denise Bryant said...

Adorable! I love snowmen! Thanks for the tips on working with the honeycomb paper too!
DeniseB