Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sunday Stamping With Anita Madden: Mixing Chef

When I asked Anita Madden about her family, she told me about her grown daughter and 7-year-old grandson. Since they live in the same town, Anita babysits her grandson on the days that her daughter works. He loves making cards with her, so she's taking advantage of their "artsy time together while it lasts."

Anita also said, "I'm married to my best friend--he always has something nice to say about my cards, so I think I'll keep him, LOL!"

Of course, her husband isn't the only one who loves Anita's creations! For example, she started with 10961LC Prepping Chefs Clear Set:


And this is the gorgeous card she created:


There are so many fantastic elements on this card. The first thing I noticed was how the main image (also available in wood mount as 2232G Mixing Chef) is so beautifully colored:


Last Sunday, Anita explained her coloring process using Copic markers, with colored pencils blended with Gamsol layered on top.

"The best tip I can give to stampers that want to improve their coloring skills," she suggests, "is to practice, practice, practice. And then practice some more.

"When you run across a blog that has coloring you admire, visit that blog often and really study the way they color an image. I'm not saying that you should try to change your style to color like that person, but you can really learn so much by studying others' techniques and styles.

"There are tons of videos out there that give all kinds of helpful info, too. And if you have a chance to take a class in a local shop, take advantage of it. I find my crafting inspiration from the stamps themselves, and I love to look at stamping magazines.

"I also love to look at other blogs. I'm always trying to improve on my coloring skills. When I first started my blog, I thought my coloring looked pretty good. Now, when I go back and look at those earlier projects, I think they didn't look so great after all, LOL.

"I would also like to be better at adding embellishments. I see cards that have flowers, tags, lace, doilies, and tons of other goodies all on one card and they look stunning. Unfortunately I'm not usually very good at adding lots of frilly embellies--but I wish I were."

Well, I sure like her coloring advice, but I have to disagree with Anita's last comment about the embellishments. Check out the cute doily lace border punch that she topped with a button, which coordinates with the patterned papers from Doodlebug Design:
  

And what about this adorable die-cut banner (Corner Banner by C.C. Designs), popped up with foam dots:


Anita fussy cut the cooking accessories from the stamp set and used foam dots to adhere them to the banner...what a perfect finishing touch.

Thanks for visiting, and please come again to see what else Anita has been cooking up!

4 comments:

snailzpace said...

very cute card, anita, with perfectly balanced embellishments! the banner and buttons are so cute and match the adorable image.
linda

Dolly said...

This is such a fun card,the coloring is perfection.

Sue D said...

Very pretty card--I like the colors, the fantastic coloring and that adorable banner.

Anonymous said...

Cute card...great colors. Very happy. Great stamp set too! Would be fun to color up. Thanks for sharing. Robin Barwacz