Tuesday, September 4, 2012

"Try It Different" Tuesday: Moonlight Raccoon

Although I'm not usually a patient person, every once in a while I'll experience firsthand how "good things come to those who wait."

Of course, that proverb is not always true...but it certainly was the case with Nancy Baier of Shady Tree Studio. I'd first spotted Nancy's artwork last October and knew that I had to contact her immediately. Her drawing style is different than anything else we offer, yet I feel it's also complementary to the Inky line (as shown in this card by Roxie Glaza using one of Nancy's stamps):


At the time, Nancy wasn't in a position to discuss working with me and Inky. But I asked her to contact me if her situation ever changed, and I was so happy when I heard from her again earlier this year.

One thing led to another, and we were able to put together both a spring and fall collection that you'll find on this page of the main Inky site, under the Nature's Moments category.

Nancy's charming illustrations celebrate the natural beauty around us, and their quiet elegance appeals to both women and men alike. You may recall that I'd first introduced her in a CHA sneak peek post here, which included this card:


I'd used 11111MC Moonlight Raccoon Clear Set (or 10481K Moonlight Raccoon and 0748F One Moon in the wood mounted versions):


Not only was I thrilled about turning her beautiful artwork into Inky stamps, but as we got to know each other through many emails, I learned what a lovely, warm-hearted person she is, too:


Although she began her art career as a technical illustrator, Nancy turned her talents toward the stamp industry after having become hooked on making cards herself...and we're so glad she did!
 
Here's the first card that she created after receiving her new Inky stamps, which happened to use the same raccoon set:


In her blog post, she explains how she used Copic markers to color the image, popped up the raccoon with foam tape, and added glittery accents with a Stardust pen.

But Nancy couldn't stop after just one card! This one features a peekaboo window on the outside panel:


When you open it up, you can see how Nancy used the "spotlight technique" to emphasize the raccoon:


The colored image circle is mounted with foam tape (Nancy explains her process here):


In this monochromatic card, she emphasized brown tones by stamping the image with sepia ink and layering onto kraft-based papers:


It's a more masculine version, and Nancy mention here how it's pretty quick to put together.

If you'd like to see more good things, I'll have to ask you to wait, too...but just a little bit. Each Tuesday this month, I'll be presenting other projects Nancy has made using the same stamps on different cards. Looking forward to seeing you then!

2 comments:

Sue D said...

Gorgeous stamps and cards!! Looking forward to seeing more.

Blogger said...

Using RentalCars you can get the most affordable car hire at over 49000 locations globally.