Sunday, December 23, 2012

Sunday Stamping With Lydia Fiedler: Fox & Fawn

Where do YOU find inspiration for your stamping projects? When I asked Lydia Fiedler this same question, she replied, "Absolutely in nature. I walk for several hours each morning, and geocache along the way, and Austin's parks and trails give me the solitude I need to compose my designs. I never design at my table. I always design outside on a walk."

Maybe that's why she chose stamps from our Forest Friends collection to work with, among others. "I fell HARD for your fox the instant I saw him," she said. "I think that Inky does critters so incredibly well."

Check out the card she made with said critter (0609F Fox, drawn by artist Janie Miller):


Remember how Lydia mentioned last week that her favorite style is clean and high contrast, with lots of white space and a quirky twist? This is the perfect example!

There's loads of white space, of course, and you can see how she outlined the fox with a light blue pencil shading to make him stand out.

She also die cut the 0580D Foxy Lady saying with a word bubble from My Favorite Things, and then popped it up using foam tape.

Clean and simple cards are always fun, but I think they're especially nice to make during the holiday season when life seems to get crazy busy. Not everything has to be super complicated in order to look good!

Here's another example, this time with 0629H Fawn (also drawn by Janie Miller and available in 11011MC Forest Friends #3 Clear Set, as well):


The wood mounted saying is 0592D Fawntastic (and it's in the clear set mentioned above), which was stamped onto kraft cardstock, die cut, and attached with foam tape and baker's twine.

I don't remember to do it often enough myself, but I just love using colored pencils with images stamped on kraft cardstock. Lydia achieved a similar effect with her ShinHan Touch Twin markers and a white gel pen:


It really packs a punch, wouldn't you agree? Quite the impact for such a delicate little fawn.

Thanks to Lydia for sharing this cute pair of cards, and to you for visiting with us today!

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Love both of these cards! The critters are SO cute!! I need to go check out the store now...

True :) said...

I am a huge fan of Lydia's work! These are both adorable as always!
So glad to see her playing along with us on the Inky blog!

Hugs,
True :D

True :) said...

I am a huge fan of Lydia's work! These are both adorable as always!
So glad to see her playing along with us on the Inky blog!

Hugs,
True :D

Sue D said...

Great coloring of these cute forest critters. I like the clean design of the cards too.

Anonymous said...

Linda Rad said....love these cards, so sweet and simple. Also loved the use of the white gel pen. Thanks you for sharing these.