Sunday, December 30, 2012

Sunday Stamping With Lydia Fiedler: Pear

As we wrap up 2012 and head into the new year, it seemed fitting that Lydia Fiedler decided to feature 11071SC Holy Spirit's Fruit Clear Set (drawn by artist Darby New) for her final project as Inky's Guest Designer this month:


As with so many of Lydia's projects, her card is clean and simple with a couple of fun twists:


Lydia layered the sentiment banner (it's easy to make the notches with a square punch!) onto Stampin' Up! First Edition designer paper. The text background is a neat and unexpected element.

She sponged a variety of SU! inks (Summer Sun, Lucky Limeade, Tangerine Tango, and Calypso Coral) onto the stamped pear image (0369H in wood mounted), layering the colors to create warm, rich tones.

Then she added finishing touches with a white gel pen and metallic gold marker. Finally, she cut it out and mounted it with foam tape:


"I think the most important thing I've learned," says Lydia, "is that life is short, and so you should share everything you know with your fellow artist. I'm not making anything for the Smithsonian - hopefully I'm creating joy.

"And if I can share that freely with other people so they can experience the joy of crafting, I can't think of anything I'd be happier to say I'd done."

In my mind, Lydia has accomplished her goal with this pretty card that spreads joy.

* * *

When I asked her if there was anything else she wanted to tell our Inky readers, Lydia had these closing comments:

Sharing is caring. I'm so grateful for all the papercrafters who have influenced me, and I try hard to pay that back by sharing the small amount of stamping knowledge I have. The creative process is so fun, but interacting with other artists is even more fun. Have fun, enjoy what you're doing, and encourage other people, especially people who don't feel confident.

We've been thrilled to have Lydia as our Inky Guest Designer for December! Will you please help me thank her for sharing her talent with us by leaving a comment at the end of this post?

Your comment will also enter you in a little BLOG CANDY giveaway. On Wednesday, January 2nd, I'll randomly choose the winner for 11071SC Holy Spirit's Fruit Clear Set. I'll post that person's name here on the blog, so please check back to see if you've won!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sponging, who da thunk it? Gonna try it. Carrie

Diana N. said...

Love your card! That pear looks so realistic! I like your stamping style.

Sue D said...

Thanks Lydia for sharing your talent and comments with us. Love the coloring on the pear and the addition of the white gel pen.

Tammy C. said...

Thanks for sharing, Lydia! Happy New Year!

Jennifer Scull said...

I absolutely love what Lydia has done with this stamp set! the banner next to the pear is great! :)

Mary-Anne V said...

What a great card...such a wonderful sentiment to start the new year.