Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sunday Stamping With Lydia Fiedler: Candy Cane Birdy

Honest to goodness, I swear I don't have a rule that all of our Sunday posts must be about people from Texas. But what can I say? They've got a truckload of awesome stampers down there!

Take our new friend Lydia Fiedler, for instance:


This lovely lady hails from "God's Country - Austin, Texas," as she puts it. I'm tickled pink to be able to introduce her as Inky's Guest Designer for December!

"I moved to Austin in 1990, and my husband and I got married in 1992. I hope that doesn't reveal my age," quips Lydia. "He's an avid golfer, which means five hours of uninterrupted stamping time several times a week.

"We live with our two furry bosses - Maddie and Splotchy, who are two quite celebrated internet cat stars, and even have their own biography in book form. We live in their fuzzy shadows, really."

Funny lady, wouldn't you agree? But, wait, there's more. Besides being a designer, Lydia works full time for Internet Brands, as the Community Manager for Splitcoastampers.

"It's a very exciting, fun, people oriented and fast paced job," she says, "and I love that I'm immersed in the papercrafting community every day and able to interact with the most amazingly talented designers in the world."

So, not only does she have a job that makes many stampers want to drool, but she also speaks Russian. Yeah, I know that tidbit at the end was a little random, right? But Lydia is kinda like that. She's wonderfully offbeat, which I just love about her!

I think you'll also notice this characteristic in her stamped projects. For the first one, Lydia used 11058SC Snow Birdies Clear Set (drawn by artist Tammy DeYoung):


She made the "sweetest" little gift card holder, decorated with elements from the clear set:
The wood mounted versions of these stamps are 2072J Candy Cane Birdy and 3381D Sweet Treats.

Lydia paper pieced the birdy with Bazzill Christmas paper, and then she colored and shaded it with ShinHan Touch Twin markers:


Additional elements on the front are a wood snowflake, rhinestone, and punched-out saying.

The gift card holder is a pre-cut version from Stampin' Up! layered with their Crumb Cake designer paper, but you could recreate it pretty easily on your own. The dimensions are 7 1/4" x 4", scored at 2 1/2" and 5" (and then punched with corner rounder and notch punches):


Would you like the chance to win your own 11058SC Snow Birdies Clear Set? Please leave a comment at the end of this post helping me welcome Lydia as this month's Inky Guest Designer, and you'll be entered in a BLOG CANDY giveaway.

On Wednesday, December 5th, I'll randomly choose the winner for the same clear set that Lydia used above and post that person's name...so please check back to see if you've won. Good luck!

12 comments:

Mrs. Swandog said...

So cute! I love this set. I love how the bird is done! Awesome card!

djeanagnes said...

very cute, love the little bird!

Tammy C. said...

Welcome, Lydia! Cute card & I can always use gift card holders. I really want to win this set, though to make the cute lip balm holders that were on the inky site recently.

Grandma Ronda said...

I need to learn how to make a gift card holder. Thanks for the inspiration. I love this set. My son and DIL live in Georgetown, TX. Welcome to Inky Antics.

Anonymous said...

Linda Rad said....
Very, very cute gift card holder. I love the way you used the colors, and love the stamping on the bird. Thank you for sharing this idea. Wonderful stamp set too! :)

Denise Bryant said...

Love your gift card holder Lydia! Darling little bird and fun details on it!
DeniseB

Carrie Roth said...

Love it! My mail lady will be getting one with the candy cane reindeer.

Sue D said...

Welcome Lydia! Great gift card holder--I like the paper pieced bird and the wooden snowflake.

Andrea said...

Yea Lydia! This is such a cute set and I love what she's done with it!

Diana N. said...

Welcome Lydia! Marvelous card and serves a dual purpose too!

Patricia R. said...

What a cute card Lydia! I can't wait to see what you do the rest of the month.

Allie Gower said...

Welcome Lydia, love your work. LOVE the birds. They're so TWEET!