Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sunday Stamping With Danielle Lounds: Travel Time

Danielle Lounds works full time as a Senior Software Engineer at a tax and accounting software company. "Needless to say, being crafty is a nice change of pace from what I do at my day job," she shares.

"I’ve been stamping since I was a teenager. I was introduced to stamps when my mom brought home a Stampin’ Up! Catalog because her coworker had signed up as a demonstrator. Hee, I think I was more excited to browse through the catalog than her. After I finished college, I started scrapbooking and rediscovered stamping. Since then I’ve been addicted and so has my mom."

Danielle is single, "so no hubby or kids," she says, "but I do have two very well-insulated cats, thus the name of my blog: Fat Cat Stamper."

"I also have two nephews and nieces that range in ages from 18 years old to 5 months, so I can do all the spoiling of them I want. Heh heh, isn’t that what aunts do the best?!"

Not only does Danielle like to spoil her family, but I certainly felt spoiled when I opened the box of gorgeous projects she made as January's Inky Guest Designer. Then I immediately became excited at the prospect of sharing them with you!

Today we're featuring a project that is very timely for me, now that our 2013 show tour is starting. I'm guessing many of you will also find it useful, if you're planning to take a vacation during spring break. It's Danielle's wonderful travel journal:


She created it using 10969MC Travel Time Clear Set (drawn by artist Ronnie Walter):


The cover is just adorable, with a popped-up image and saying, stamped background, chipboard letters, ribbon, and other fun details:


But that's not all...as you can see here, there are some neat surprises inside:


Shall we take a look? When you open the cover, you'll find several index cards on which to record your notes from that special trip:


Underneath, there is a handy pocket page that is decorated with ribbon and another stamped image:


It's followed by more index cards and a second pocket page in different but coordinating colors. What a great spot to tuck receipts, ticket stubs, or photos:


Even the back cover is decorated with patterned papers for a beautifully finished appearance:


Here's a final glance once you put it all together:


What a charming little book, which is also easy to make if you follow these steps:

1. Cover backing board with designer paper, removing excess paper using a sanding block (or sanding file).

2. Create two pockets from cardstock that has been cut to 6.5” wide by 7.5” tall. Score at the 4.5” mark to create a pocket page that is 6.5” wide by 4.5” tall. Add piece of cardstock to the opening and then adhere sides shut using glue. Tape ribbon in place, add mini staples and stamp a small image. Round the top corners.

3. Punch covers, pockets, and 40 index cards with Bind-it-All and then assemble book. Do not decorate cover first, as it will not fit in the punching mechanism of the Bind-it-All.

4. Decorate cover using sticker letters, ribbon, pearls, cardstock and stamped images from 10969MC Travel Time Clear Set.

* * *

Paper: Spring Moss, Ripe Avocado & Black (PaperTrey Ink), 5”x7” Double-Thick Backing Board (ClearBags.com), 4”x6” Index Cards (Office Store), Traveler Designer (My Mind’s Eye)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, VersaMark, Copic Markers
Accessories: Thickers Letters (American Crafts), Red Letter Stickers (October Afternoon), Green Pearls (Queen & Co.), Red & Green Polka Dot Ribbons (May Arts), Tiny Attacher (Tim Holtz Idea-ology), Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), O-Wire binding Wire & Bind-it-All Binding Machine

8 comments:

True :) said...

What a darling little book!
You have inspired me to do one as well. Maybe not "Travel" but some other subject. I don't get around much. LOL!

Thanks for sharing!
Hugs,
True :D

Tammy C. said...

I will definitely make this! Thanks so much!

Nancy said...

Wonderful and inspiring!! I've given lots of thought to purchasing a binding machine. Using index cards is a great tip and the stamp set is adorable, too, along with beautiful papers and accents ~ thanks for sharing with us!

SweetMissDaisy (Anna Wight) said...

This is just amazing!!! :)

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea! Really nice work and love the use of index cards. Loving that stamp set. Thanks for sharing with us. Have a great week.
Hugs,
Robin Barwacz

Sue D said...

Lots of great features in this cute travel book--love the cover with the dog and sentiment.

Mary-Anne V said...

Wow what a great book...perfect to record memories.

Jackie Wamhoff said...

So glad you like this project as much as I do, ladies. :-) I agree, Danielle did an amazing job! Thanks to her...and to you, for leaving your kind comments.