Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"Try It Different" Tuesday: Birthday Turtle

I had to laugh when I asked Danielle Lounds what her favorite Inky stamps are, and she mentioned 10917MC Birthday Turtle Clear Set (drawn by artist Tammy DeYoung) as one of them:


It's not that I was surprised by her choice, but rather the way she described it:

"[It's] CUTEness in a shell! I can always use a great birthday stamp set and this one is not only cute but versatile. The little images can be used for making tags or pairing you can pair them with the turtle for bigger scenes that are perfect for cards."

Danielle said that she has been making sets of gift tags recently, and that one set usually takes a couple of hours to finish. "I am a very slow crafter and easily distracted," she admitted. (That's actually a lot faster than I am, so I must be really slow as a turtle!)

Regardless of her perceived speed, I think you'll agree that it's worth the time when you look at this absolutely adorable tag:


Danielle also told me that she is a huge fan of texture and coloring:

"I love coloring, there is something so soothing about filling in all of those white spaces between the lines which is why the majority of the time I work with line draw images. I also can’t make a stampy project without adding some kind of texture, whether it is Glossy Accents, stitching, glitter, ribbon or paper piecing an image with designer paper."

In this case, she added several textural details, such as a jute bow, wood button, and brown pearls. I love how she coated parts of the turtle's shell with Glossy Accents and glitter:


Earlier Danielle had mentioned the versatility of this stamp set. You can mix and match the various elements to create many combinations. Can you spot what's different on this tag:


Yep, he traded his birthday cake for a hat! And look at the carefully-cut layers that are popped up with foam tape:


So very cute! Both of these tags are just charming, wouldn't you agree:


Here are the steps to creating your own turtle tags:

1. Stamp Turtle and accessory images on Choice Snow White cardstock and color with Copic markers. Stamp the accessory images a second time and color.

2. Cut out images, layering the second accessory images over the first using foam dimensionals.

3. Coat portions of the turtle’s shell with Glossy Accents and then add a bit of Rock Candy Distress glitter. Let dry.

4. Stamp sentiment on aqua cardstock and trim to size, cutting the one side with scissors to create a flag.

5. Layer designer paper on Chocolate Chip cardstock and then adhere the turtle and sentiment using more foam dimensionals.

6. Mat on a die-cut tag base and embellish with brown pearls, a button and natural jute.

Paper: Chocolate Chip and Aqua (Stampin’ Up!), Tags and Choice Snow White (Taylored Expressions), Seen & Noted Designer (Pebbles)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Copic Markers, Copic Spica Pens
Accessories: Natural Jute (May Arts), Brown Pearls (Queen & Co.), Wood Button, Glossy Acents and Rock Candy Distress Glitter (Ranger), Foam Dimensional

* * *

Danielle also had an encouraging message about stamping, which I really appreciated and wanted to pass along:

"Don’t be afraid to try new things, and if you don’t like the results the first time, give it another try. Don’t be discouraged if you make something you don’t love. It happens to everyone…everyone! There have been many projects that I have made that never make it to my blog and not much further than the round filing bin next to my desk."

It's been a great pleasure having her as our Inky Guest Designer for January! Will you kindly help me thank Danielle for sharing such wonderful projects with us by leavng a comment at the end of this post?

Your comment will also enter you in a quick BLOG CANDY giveaway. On Thursday, January 31st, I'll randomly choose the winner for 10917MC Birthday Turtle Clear Set. I'll post that person's name here on the blog, so please check back to see if you've won!

9 comments:

Beckiejo said...

Love these tags! I am inspired to create some of my own.

Chrisd said...

I really enjoyed Danielle's creations and especially the tags. I so enjoy trying out new ideas with my Inky Antics stamps.

Mary-Anne V said...

Love how Danielle makes stamps come alive. These tags are so sweet.

Diana N. said...

Danielle is so very creative and adds such lucious details to her projects!

Carrie Roth said...

Thanks for all the great ideas. I really enjoyed seeing what's next.

Debbie H. said...

I love Danielle's tags and her attention to detail! Thanks for sharing!

Sue D said...

Thanks you Danielle for all your projects and ideas. The turtle tags are adorable--I like the addition of glossy accents and glitter.

Jenny said...

LOVE Danielle's style and her tags always blow me away! I especially love the glossy spots on the shells on this set :D

Carol said...

Very cute tags! I love the gloss on the turtle it really adds to the life of the turtle. Such great detail on the tags!!!