Friday, February 8, 2013

Friday Funnies: Super Bowl Sunday

Note from Jackie: My husband, Steve, thinks he is a funny guy. Sometimes he is, and sometimes he isn't. ;-) I'll let you decide for yourself...he wrote today's post.

* * *

Last Sunday was Super Bowl Sunday. It is the pinnacle of a long football season. A day fans wait for all year, waiting to see which team is truly the best. Feasts are planned. There are chips, dips, burgers, brats, and a smorgasbord of hotdishes to graze upon. Friends share stories of the past season. Why, there might even be an adult beverage or two consumed. It’s a day to celebrate the game they love. A day they believe should be a national holiday (or the Monday that follows, for those who need the day off, which might be more accurate).

My wife isn’t much of sports fan. Not knowing that last Sunday was a sacred day to football fans, she invited some friends over for dinner. There would be no gathering of elite football minds for me. No discussing what plays should have been called or how the refs blew the call. No burgers, no brats, no chips and dips. No sampling of the potluck lined up on the counter. To her, this was just another ordinary Sunday.

So, being the wonderful husband that I am, I didn’t make a big deal of it. I didn’t whine or cry. No pouting. No planning to sneak out to the neighbors to catch 10 minutes of the game and a quick burger. Instead, I helped prepare the house for our guests' arrival. I vacuumed, dusted, peeled potatoes, and oh yeah, set the DVR to record the game!

After our guests departed, I prepared to watch the big game. But first I had to take the garbage out and put the car in the garage. I got into the car, turned on the ignition, and before I could turn off the radio, I heard it: “Baltimore is your Super Bowl champ…”

The game was now ruined for me. I had no desire to watch a game when I knew what the outcome was going to be. I parked the car, walk in the house, turned off the TV, and cried myself to sleep.

The next evening, after having recovered slightly, I turned on the TV and selected the football game. My thumb hovered over the delete button. But instead of erasing it, I found myself hitting "play." I would watch it. After all, there was more to the game than knowing who won. It was about how it was played, the stories within the game. That only lasted about five minutes, though, and then I fast forwarded through the game to watch the commercials. (Some people, like my wife, would say those are the best part of the Super Bowl game anyway. I have to admit that a few of them were pretty funny.)

Here are what I thought were the top five commercials:





5 comments:

Sue D said...

I enjoyed your post Steve and enjoyed watching the commercials--esp the Farmer one.

Regina Hamilton said...

Your hubby's post was too funny. The poor thing had to miss the game. Love the commercials.

Tammy C. said...

Steve is funny this time. The game was great - he should definitely watch it! I agree with his commercial pics too. Jackie,how could you not know it was Superbowl Sunday?!

Linda R. said...

Ouch! That was too great a game to get ruined. I feel your pain!

Sue from Oregon said...

Taco Bell!!! The commercials are the best anyways!