Sunday, March 31, 2013

Sunday Stamping With Lori Craig: Hoot! Hoot! Canvas

"Who loves really INKY fun? I do! I do!" says Lori Craig. "Hoot! Hoot!"

For her final project as our Inky Guest Designer this month, Lori used two of the same sets she started with and took them in a new direction. They're 10960LC Owl Friends Clear Set (drawn by artist Ronnie Walter) and 10985MC Mod Flowers Clear Set (drawn by artist Stacy West), respectively:



"I love the look and idea of all of the mixed media projects that I see all over internet-land. They always look so great... and so intimidating," she admits. "So, over the last year or so, I've purchased several packs of small 3x4 and 3x3 canvas from my local hobby store and had a great time playing!

"A small canvas is great for beginners because it's inexpensive. You won't feel like you can't try something for fear of messing it up and wasting your investment. It's also small enough that you can complete a project start to finish in a short amount of time.

"[I started with] a 3" x 3" gesso-covered canvas. It was already covered with gesso when I purchased it. I think a three-pack was $3.99ish. Perfect for my inky antics (pardon the pun).

"I used a combination of water (dye inks and Mod Podge) and alcohol (Copic) products on this, and a good rule of thumb when mixing your mediums would be to do your alcohol work first, and then apply your water based mediums over the top of that. Your water based mediums will not affect or alter alcohol (Copic used here) underneath," recommends Lori.

Step #1: Squirt Copic Ink into a palette and brush over the top of the gesso-covered canvas. I started with BG10 and then added a little BG45 for a mottled look. It will dry very quickly.


Step #2: Soak your brush with Copic Ink in a little bit of Copic Blending Solution to clean the bristles.


Step #3: Cut a piece of tissue paper slightly larger than your canvas and stamp your background images onto the tissue paper. I used the Mod Flowers Clear Set and Clearsnap dye inks in Strawberry and Tangerine.
 

Step #4: I put my tissue paper back over the canvas for placement of the limb and the sentiment. Those are both stamped with Espresso Truffle, and the limb is colored with Copic Marker. Work gently, with a light hand. You want a minimal amount of ink on the tissue paper.


Step #5: Stamp your main image on XPress It Blending card with Espresso Truffle Memento and color with Copic Marker.


Step #6: Trim your main image.


Step #7: The trick to working with Mod Podge as a glue and sealing medium is to apply a coat of the glue under and over whatever you are adhering. In this case, I apply a thin layer directly to the canvas and paint it on with a flat wide brush.


Step #8: Lay tissue paper over the Mod Podge covered canvas and gently press the tissue paper into the canvas to minimize air bubbles. I used the bristles of my brush.


Step #9: Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge over the top of the tissue paper, lay your main image on top of that, and apply a final thin layer of Mod Podge over the main image. Sprinkle with fine glitter at this point, if desired. Set aside to dry.
 

Step #10: My final step was to accent the dry canvas with white oil-based Sharpie for edge decoration.


Here is Lori's charming finished project:


Ink: Espresso Truffle Memento - Tsukineko, Strawberry & Tangerine Dye Inks - Clearsnap

Cardstock: XPress It Blending Card, Tissue Paper

Accessories: Copic Various Ink Refills (BG10 & BG11), Copic Markers (E31, E33, E35, RV23, RV25, Y35, YR07, YG05), 3x3 Gesso-Covered Canvas, Mod Podge, White Oil-Based Sharpie

* * *

When I asked Lori where she finds inspiration for her stamping projects, she pointed to the Splitcoaststampers Gallery (of course!).

"I like to say that I’m not creative, I just copy well," she claims. "People constantly amaze me with their creativity and ingenuity. I also jot sketches, interesting color combos in a little notebook from time to time, and I could probably get a lot more stamping done if I’d quit looking for inspiration on Pinterest.

"While I love looking at other people’s papercrafting creations and I’m almost always inspired, I went through a period where I was intimidated because I wanted my projects to look like this person's or that person’s. Now, I try to stick with a vision of crafting that I know I execute well, and I try to keep it simple because simple is what I’m more apt to send to someone I love. I learned to love the quote 'Comparison is the thief of joy!'”

Hopefully, you'll find that great projects don't have to be intimidating at all, just like Lori's adorable owl canvas and the other creations she has shown us throughout March. It's been such a pleasure talking with Lori and sharing her posts with our Inky readers. Will you please help me thank her for joining us by leavng a comment at the end of this post?

Your comment will also enter you in a BLOG CANDY giveaway. On Wednesday, April 3rd, I'll randomly choose the winner for 10960LC Owl Friends Clear Set and 10985MC Mod Flowers Clear Set. I'll post that person's name here on the blog, so please check back to see if you've won!

20 comments:

Tammy said...

Thanks for all of the inspiration, Lori! I might have to "copy" your owl project...I LOVE owls right now!

Denise Bryant said...

I love Lori's tutorial on her little mixed media canvas! Lots of fun steps to create this and some great tips! I just might have to give a canvas project a try! Love the 2 stamp sets she used. Thanks for a chance to win them!
Happy Easter!

Jennifer Scull said...

my goodness, that is wonderful! and I really appreciate the step out direction on how she made the canvas.

Happy Easter to everyone! :)

Diana N. said...

Great tutorial for the mixed media canvas. Love the stamps Lori used.

Sue D said...

Thanks Lori for all your tips and inspiration. Cute owl canvas--I need to try a mixed media project.

Chelsea said...

Great Tutorial ... I am in awe of Lori Craig .. she is so talented!!!

Cheryl said...

Your project turned out great! Thanks for the tutorial...I'm just starting to dabble in mixed media, too!

Mary-Anne V said...

What a cute canvas...love how you showed us all the steps and tips. Thanks.

Lisa H. said...

Lori, rocks!!! and so does this canvas....total cuteness and love the tutorial.

BettyBee said...

What a delightful project! Thanks for such inspiring thoughts, especially the quite on "comparison being the thief of joy". I have often been intimidated by overdone mixed media, but this truly helps me see where I might enjoy getting into it!

BettyBee said...

What a delightful project! Thanks for such inspiring thoughts, especially the quite on "comparison being the thief of joy". I have often been intimidated by overdone mixed media, but this truly helps me see where I might enjoy getting into it!

Sherri said...

Great job Lori! Good to see you stretching your creative pallet. Love the Hoot Owl - very cute. Nicely done!!

Tricia said...

Thanks for this tutorial, Lori - your steps are so clear - I want to try this!

NWFlamingo said...

This is certainly worth hooting about!

Tamara said...

Thanks for the fun tutorial... I love the mixed media look too and I'm so interested to see how different stamp sets and my copics can create different effects - awesome!

zehra said...

This looks like fun thanks for sharing and thanks for a chance to win

Mary Walk said...

Lori, I laugh when I read your paragraph about getting more stamping done than looking for inspiration on Pinterest, because that sounds EXACTLY like me. I laugh though because YOU are one of my inspirations!!! I LOVE this tutorial with the owl and look forward to making one myself. Thanks so much for sharing your creativity and being an inspiration :)

Joyce said...

Beginning to venture into working on canvas and I pleased to know how I may use Copics. Thanks for the tutorial and happy colors.

Penny K said...

Canvas projects seem to be all the rage. Thanks, Lori, for the inspiration and info on how to get started using mixed media. Love the simplicity of this one

MaryH said...

Thanks for the inspiring project, and even more so for the comment about 'the copying'. Sounded like you were describing myself! I'm not artistic, and don't attempt elaborate projects or cards. It's good to have someone else validate that it's ok to do simple, but pretty work, and translate inspiration into your own efforts. Thanks once again for your lovely mixed media project, the how-to's...as I have not tried using copics as more than markers. Great idea to try this on cards.