Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sunday Stamping With Lori Craig: Mod Flowers

"Like most paper-crafty people I know," says Lori Craig, "there is never enough time to play. Most of my days are filled with responsibilities at Splitcoaststampers.com. I have been the advertising coordinator there since 2007, and I was a volunteer on the site for two years before that.

"I absolutely love working with people who love stamps and ink as much as I do, and I feel really blessed to work with such great people, both our community and customers in the stamp industry."

Speaking of blessings, I completely feel that way about being able to know Lori, and also for having the opportunity to introduce you to her as this month's Inky Guest Designer:


The title of Lori's blog is Make a Difference. As you become more acquainted with her over the next few weeks, I think you'll see how she truly embodies that philosophy. Luckily, and despite her busy schedule, Lori agreed to make time to play with us...and I couldn't be more thrilled!

For her first project, she chose 10985MC Mod Flowers Clear Set (drawn by artist Stacy West):


"About a year and a half ago," recalls Lori, "I stopped into the thrift store two blocks from my home, and I purchased a few older books that were too fragile for normal use and damaged beyond repair. One of them was an old botany college textbook, copyright 1929. Every now and again, I tear a page out and use it for paper crafting.

"I can feel some card making librarians shudder as I type that, but I promise you this book is really beyond its well-loved life as an educational resource, and I like to think that it just keeps bringing joy to my friends and family, one card at a time.

"Something about the striking difference between Mod Flowers and 1929 botany called me to pull it out this week."

Check out the wonderful contrast between the contemporary stamp images and antique book page:


"I’m a shabby, clean, kraft enthusiast," Lori states. "I have a very fond affection for kraft cardstock. There is something very soothing and comfortable about using it."

I love how she punctuates this "comfortable" kraft look with the bold, playful stamps:


Lori also used part of a typefaced sentiment from 11109SC Balloon Flight Clear Set (drawn by artist Nancy Baier), giving it a new purpose:


And this is the beautiful end result:


Cardstock: Kraft Cardstock - My Favorite Things, Strip of Patterned Paper - My Mind's Eye Lost & Found Blush Collection

Ink: Berrylicious, Dark Peony, Creamy Brown and Rouge - Colorbox Chalk by Clearsnap

Accessories: Random Button, Designer Mini Tags Die - Taylored Expressions, Twine - My Favorite Things

* * *

Would you like the chance to win your own 10985MC Mod Flowers Clear Set and 11109SC Balloon Flight Clear Set? Please leave a comment at the end of this post helping me welcome Lori Craig as our Inky Guest Designer for March, and you'll be entered in a BLOG CANDY giveaway.

On Wednesday, March 6th, I'll randomly choose the winner for the same clear sets that Lori used above and post that person's name...so please check back later this week to see if you've won!

17 comments:

True :) said...

Oh...that is beautiful Lori! I love the contrast too!
So glad you could guest design with us!
Hugs,
True :)

SUE LEWIS-PAYNTER said...

oh its lovely

Leah the Orange said...

yay! congrats, Lori! and i'm LOVING your creation. the subtle colors and the repetition of the flowers makes for such a simple but elegant design! happy guesting, and thanks for the inspiration! :)

Anonymous said...

Linda Rad said.....very very pretty. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Janet said...

This is gorgeous and love the idea of reusing old books ~ I will be giving that a try for sure. This stamp set worked perfectly with this. What a great card and wonderful guest designer - I have always enjoyed your creativity Lori. Can wait to see what you show us next.

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

This is gorgeous! I love the soft colors on the book page. Looks like I need to take a trip to a second hand store. Ü

Carrie Roth said...

Something new to try. Thanks for the tips. Your card says Spring is here, nice and quite like.

guilinger2 said...

Welcome Lori! I love your card! I am one who has a hard time tearing up a book, but maybe I will look for something really old at the next library book sale and try this!

Karen Motz said...

Beautiful card design Lori!!! Love the simple little sentiment tag!

Denise Bryant said...

Welcome Lori! Looking forward to seeing your work as this month's guest designer! Love the stamp sets you used on today's pretty card!
DeniseB

Andrea said...

How pretty! I love both sets! My "one little word" this year is UP so the balloon set would be wonderful to use for pages supporting my word. I'm a sucker for flower sets too -this one is gorgeous!

Kristina B. said...

Beautiful Project!

Sue D said...

Wonderful card Lori and thanks for being an Inky Antics Guest Designer. I like how you used an old botany textbook page with these flowers and your use of kraft.

Cassie said...

Very gorgeous, Lori! I find kraft paper to be very soothing too. The kraft with the pink is such a great contrast :D

Traci said...

There is always something soothing (Lori's word ;0)) about your cards Lori. Very Beautiful as always. Tfs! Hugs Traci ;0)

Jennifer Scull said...

it is wonderful to see Lori as a guest designer at Inky Antics! and she used the stamps so beautifully, too, as she always does with anything & everything she makes! so happy to see her use one of Nancy's sets. :)

can't wait to see what else she makes while at Inky Antics!

seamom said...

WOW! I have followed Lori's blog for some time now. She is so talented, and I am always so inspired. Congrats to her for the guest designer gig! This card is pure creativity. Pairing the written words in an old botany textbook with mod stylized flowers is genious. Love this card!