Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sunday Stamping With Lori Craig: Sending You Love

Note From Jackie: Lori Craig is not only a very talented stamper, but she's lot of fun to talk with. I always look forward to our conversations at the CHA trade shows.

Lori's warm, easygoing manner also comes across nicely in her written words, which can sometimes be hard to convey (but not for her, as you will see).

And that's a wonderful thing for us...because in addition to creating a beautiful card for this week's project, she wrote today's post, too. It's full of handy tips, explained in a way that feels just like you have a stamping friend sitting right next to you in the studio!

* * *

I had fun with the 11109SC Balloon Flight Clear Set (drawn by artist Nancy Baier). Living in the Midwest, rolling farmland is a daily picture, and this set reminds me of that:


My image is colored with Copics, and though the image is just 2 3/4" square, I managed to pack a lot of color into it. The artist gives you just the right amount of line detail in this image for interest and depth, yet still manageable to color in a short amount of time. I've included a step-out diagram so you can see exactly where I've used each Copic color:
 

Here are a few tips for working with this scenic image:

After coloring the main square image and airbrushing the sky, I stamped both of the clouds on XPress It Blending Card with SnoCone ink and cut them out. The SnoCone ink was a good match to the sky color that I had airbrushed, and this allows the clouds blend into the scene, as opposed to stamping them in brown and having such harsh lines.

After cutting them out, I gently ran a BG000 marker over the exposed white core of the cardstock and then I glued them directly to the image, rather than popping them up because I didn't want them to compete with my hot air balloon.

The balloon is also stamped on XPress It Blending Card with Espresso Truffle ink (the same as the main image). It is colored and then cut out. Notice how the space between the basket and the balloon is colored to match the mountains. I purposely left that area white until after the balloon was cut out so that I could play with the balloon placement on my main image and decide whether placement would be over the mountains, tree line or sky.

And, again as I had done on the clouds, I used pale markers (YR21, BV00 and E31) to lightly color the exposed white core of the cardstock after the balloon was cut out. It's a subtle detail, but subtle additions can help add a polished look to your finished project:
 

The last step was to pop the balloon image up on some kind of dimensionals to give it a floating appearance. Because this entire image is rather small, my 1/8" foam tape popped the balloon up just a bit higher than I preferred, so I cut two 1/2" round circles with a punch from regular cardstock and stacked them together.

Those two flat circles glued to the back of my balloon gave me just enough height to appear floating, but not oddly hovered over the image. The thicker your foam tape, the more shadow you will create with your popped up image, and I really wanted to minimize that here.

I hope you are inspired to play with scenic stamping like this. Don't overthink the coloring and blending. Even with a healthy collection of colors in the supply list, this entire card took me about 1 hour start-to-finish:


Cardstock: XPress It Blending Card, Whip Cream - My Favorite Things, Fly a Kite Patterned Paper - Lime Twist Collection - My Mind's Eye

Ink: Espresso Truffle Memento - Tsukineko and Sno Cone - My Favorite Things

Accessories: Matting Basics Dies - Spellbinders, Copic Marker (BG000, B0000, YR21, YR23, YR24, BV00, G40, G43, YG03, E31, E33, E35, YG00, YG01, G12, G14, BG70, BG72, W1, W3) Button, Twine

4 comments:

Susie said...

Super card. Love Lori.

Carrie Roth said...

That's great. It does inspire me to try a landscape. Thanks.

Sue D said...

Lovely card and thanks for all the great tips Lori.

Mary-Anne V said...

very pretty...love the colouring.