Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sunday Stamping With Dina Kowal: Hattie Sends Love

When Dina Kowal was growing up, her family moved a lot. That meant she kept in touch with friends in other places by writing letters, just like the this girl in 11019SC Hattie Sends Love Clear Set (drawn by artist Hattie Lace):


Dina used this stamp set to create a fanciful multi-layered card:


Although she really likes creating her own background paper with stamps and a mixture of different coloring mediums, this time Dina used existing scraps from her treasured stash and then dry embossed the entire panel:


"When I stamp and especially when I color," reveals Dina, "I like to think through each section of color and add details that make the image look more realistic, either adding some scenic elements to the image, or adding texture, shading, or dimension."

You can see how she did that here by coloring Hattie with Prismacolors, sponging the piece while it was still in her Spellbinders die, and then shading with pencils even more:


Look at the variety of shades she used on each part of the image, especially in Hattie's hair:


Dina added the same Impression Obsession die-cut bow from Tuesday's project, but this time in apple green:


(By the way, check out her blog post on today's card for a handy tip about decorating the buttons!)

For a wonderful finishing touch, she stamped the saying plus the image again inside the card, extending the table line with a matching marker:


Dina says she is determined to never stop learning: "I’ve learned to get good at just being myself and using the resources I have, rather than needing the newest this-or-that or everything so-and-so has."

"I’ve [also] learned to enjoy playing and experimenting and trying new things. Art is one of the few areas in life where we get to make our own rules (and even then, still have permission to break them!)."

I admire Dina's approach very much, and I hope YOU feel inspired to make and break your own rules in stamping, Inky friends. If you agree, would you please help me thank her for joining us this month and sharing her incredible talent with us, by leaving a comment at the end of this post?

Your comment will also enter you in a BLOG CANDY giveaway. On Wednesday, May 29th, I'll randomly choose the winner for 11019SC Hattie Sends Love Clear Set. I'll post that person's name here on the blog, so please check back to see if you've won!

23 comments:

cah said...

Such sweet - and true - sentiments. Dina, your coloring techniques are beautiful and so pleasing to the eye. I love how you thought outside the box on the last card. Lovely!

Chelsea said...

Love the colors in this and your coloring is beautiful!!!

Sue from Oregon said...

This is so cute...and I love the wonderful friendship sentiments as well!

Diana N. said...

Your coloring is simply marvelous! Love the depth that the details add.

Barbara Thompson said...

Dina sent me over to your site. I would love to win this set. Soooo adorable!!

tonilea said...

Love the Hattie stamp set and love the card of Dina's as well. I would be a great one for me to use to send a note to my friend who is having a bone marrow transplant. Scary stuff.
I didn't ever send a lot of cards until I started making them. Now, I send cards all the time.
tonilea

Krissy said...

OH my goodness, is this adorable! I love the colors and your coloring! LOVE the way you stamped inside the card to tie it all together!

Kecia said...

Look at that coloring! Wowzers! Such depth!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

cute card! I love the colors and that diecut bow!

Sue D said...

Cute card. I like the papers and embossing and the wonderful shading.

Linda Carson said...

adorable! I love Dina's artwork!

Lisa Jensen said...

Just found your blog and enjoy the coloring you do on your stamps

Lisa Jensen said...

Just found your blog and enjoy the coloring you do on your stamps

Katie said...

Great card!! Love this set too, Dina has picked some good ones to work with this month! I have loved seeing her work this month. Bravo! Thanks for sharing.

Katie B.

Maria V. said...

I love Dina, she is so talented, I too was the pen pal that wrote right away, love the Hattie set. I would love to win it! Thanks for the chance.

Maria V. said...

I love Dina, she is so talented, I too was the pen pal that wrote right away, love the Hattie set. I would love to win it! Thanks for the chance.

Julia said...

This is absolutely adorable!!!

Janis said...

Love the background embossing and the image is just sooooo cute!!!

Tammy C said...

Love your work, Dina. The coloring is great & I love that you used up all of those scraps!

Kathleen said...

Loved having Dina as guest designer. Her work is fabulous.

Glenda said...

If it wasn't that I'm left handed, that would be making out my many list of things I have to do! Truly cute! Thanks.

Ronda Ellis said...

Just adorable!

Ronda Ellis said...

Just adorable!