Sunday, May 5, 2013

Sunday Stamping With Dina Kowal: Stone Path

One of the wonderful things about the Internet is getting to know people anywhere in the world. Take Dina Kowal, for instance, who has lived with her family in Asia Pacific since 2005:


"We live on a beautiful little campus out in the sticks," says Dina, "between the airport, a rice field, and a cozy little township. There’s a river behind our house, and a soccer field in front of it."

Although we're thousands of miles apart, through the wonders of technology, it feels like Dina is right around the corner...and it's my great pleasure to introduce her as our Guest Designer for May. I've gotten to peak at her upcoming projects, and they're just amazing!

Today we're coming back to the States for the inspiration behind Dina's first card.

"One of my favorite family memories before we moved overseas was a day trip from Bakersfield over to the coast, with a long stop at the most beautiful place I've ever been," she recalls. "[There were] fields and fields full of wildflowers. If you've visited my blog for any length of time, you know I love poppies, and paint or stamp them when I feel homesick...this is the place my heart goes back to at those times."

Here are a few photos Dina took that day:




Dina was thinking of the picture above when she stamped a 3-inch Art Square from Inchie Arts with 0384J Stone Path, drawn by artist Darby New (also available in 11068SC Guided Path Clear Set), and then colored it with her Touch Twin markers:


She layered the panel onto a dry-embossed card base:


And included a bit of vintage floral trim from her Mom's stash:


"I used to love poking through the odds and ends in her sewing room when I was a girl," shares Dina, "the same way my daughter does now."

Finally, she added even more texture with Flower Soft:


Dina chose Marigold, Citrus Crush, and Lilac for the various flowers:


All of Dina's elements came together to form this gorgeous creation:


Would you like the chance to win your own 11068SC Guided Path Clear Set? Just leave a comment at the end of this post helping me welcome Dina as this month's Inky Guest Designer, and you'll be entered in a BLOG CANDY giveaway.

On Wednesday, May 8th, I'll randomly choose the winner for the same clear sets that Dina used above and post that person's name...so please check back to see if you've won!

34 comments:

Dandi93 said...

I love Dina's work...always a work of art. Love the added flowersoft for the wildflowers... So pretty....:)

Wanda Cullen said...

WOW, Dina, this is stunning!! Love your realistic, dimensional scene...you rock with talent!

Lee Ann Barrett said...

Congrats, Dina! Such amazing talent, friend! This scene is just gorgeous; yet another little piece of art.

Kathy Lund said...

Yup, you captured the wildflowers in our part of the world, Dina! Love this card. The dimension from the Flowersoft is awesome. TFS!

Sue D said...

Welcome Dina--I visit your blog regularly. Lovely card and the flower soft adds the perfect dimension.

Bev Gerard said...

Beautiful work, Ms. Dina! Welcome to Inky Antics as the guest designer, too. I know you'll inspire countless paper crafters with your creations.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Holy Moly this is just gorgeous!!! I love to see Dina's work- she is soooo very talented! I love the addition of the Flower Soft : )

Tammy said...

Wow! Simply beautiful! I want to learn to color like that!

Jennifer Scull said...

welcome, Dina! this is such an outstanding card!

Diana N. said...

Beautiful, simply beautiful!

Katie said...

Really great introduction! Love Dina's work and this card is beautiful! Love this stamp, and love the added flower soft too. Thanks for sharing.

Katie B.

Rene Stansell said...

It is a masterpiece, the colouring on the card is superb. I love the card.
Rene from OZ xo

Rosy Newlun said...

How beautiful Dina - I feel like I can walk right into your picture! I hope the vision of poppies carries you through any homesickness you may experience from time to time.

Beth Norman said...

Beautiful. I'm a follower of Dina's and love her work. How nice to have her on your blog.

marcia said...

Dina, you always do such beautiful work. A true artist you are. I wonder who would be so lucky as to receive that card from you?!

Maria A. said...

Oh my goodness!! this is gorgeous!!! I love Dina's work, she is an amazing and talented artist. This card is a miniature work of art.

luvhymns said...

Dina does a great job in the color world. Every card she makes is a "ahhhh" moment. She'll do you proud!

Mary Ann said...

Congrats!!!So very pretty,love your work,great coloring!!!

Debbie said...

Beautiful! A work of art!

Misti said...

Congrats, Dina! I love Dina's work, each & every piece looks like a masterpiece!

tinyfeet said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely! You are quite the artist, love your work.
Looking forward to the next art-piece!

Sherry said...

Beautiful!!!! love how you colored this set!!

KellyRae said...

Lovely LOVELY scene. It reminds me of the gardens in Grace Livingston Hill and Gene Stratton Porter books.

Alana said...

Congratulations on being a guest designer, Dina. I follow your work and this is a great example of your talent.

Lynne said...

Such a lovely place. I can understand why you miss it.

ednamburgess said...

So different and very beautiful with all the different colors you used.
Edna B.

Gail Park said...

So beautiful Dina! The image is awesome and you really brought it to life. Love the vintage trimmings too!

Ava Gavloski said...

truly a work of art. you have shared an artist with us that is outstanding. Dina as a eye for design and color shading and blending so well

Mary-Anne V said...

Dina your pictures and card are so beautiful... wonderful job.

Trena in Naperville said...

Lovely, just lovely! Dina's artwork is always lovely!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

Denise Bryant said...

Incredible card! Love the colors and dimension!

carmen conners said...

Oh Dina! I simply love it! You totally deserve this honor! I want to be you in my next life!!! :)

Jan said...

What a wonderful way to preserve such a beautiful scene...make a pretty card. This is really so nice.

Jan said...

What a wonderful way to preserve such a beautiful scene...make a pretty card. This is really so nice.