Friday, July 19, 2013

Remembering Bo

Today I'm taking a break from our usual Friday Funnies to share a bit of sad news about our dog Bo:


We had to say goodbye to him this week. He was nearly 13 years old, so it wasn't unexpected and he'd had a long life. Yet it was still difficult.

Steve adopted him when he was 1 1/2 years old, and they'd spent more than a decade together. They didn't play fetch, because Bo didn't do that (even though he was a Golden Retriever). Instead, he panted heavily due to his hypothyroidism. He passed gas all the time, bad enough that we had to buy special pills to add to his food. He drooled and shedded, which meant constant floor clean-up in his wake.

I swear he never actually tasted any treats because he gulped them down so quickly. And occasionally he ran off, so we'd have to get in the car and frantically circle the neighborhood until we found him...sometimes with a new friend (like the little girl down the street of our old house, who nicknamed him Pickles during the time he'd spent with her).


But, despite his sometimes irritating qualities, we loved him very much. He was always happy and smiling, even at the end, when his cancer had clearly spread throughout his body. He used to greet me in the morning with tail wagging in whirligig circles, spend the day at my feet beneath my desk, and lie down next to our bed at night with a contented sigh. His presence was comforting, and I miss it now that he is gone.


Whether it's a dog or another beloved pet, I hope you have your own Bo (now or in your memories) to cherish, Inky friends. Thank you for sharing this bittersweet moment with us. :-)

17 comments:

Chrisd said...

Sorry to learn of the passing of your special buddy and family member Bo!
Hugs from Michigan
Chris

Michelle Pearson said...

sorry for your loss...I'm not a pet person myself...but I'm sure that you miss your little shadow immensely! Kudos to you for rescuing the pup and loving him to the very end! BIG HUGS!

Irene said...

More hugs from Michigan....it is so hard to lose a family member! Thanks for sharing the difficult times with us.

Deanne Clarke-Saunders said...

So sorry to hear about your darling Bo. I am sitting here crying because I know the pain. I've lost 3 dogs so far in my lifetime (thankfully they too lived a full life of 13 or more years). Peace be with you, dear, and with your family.

Scrapthat said...

So sorry to hear of your loss.
:(
May be be with you.

Tina said...

Peace to Bo! I know it is hard to lose someone you love, as a dog is a part of your family. We have a Pom, named Red, that is so old, but yet, she is still with us and is crazy about me. Every day I wonder if it is time to say goodbye. Thanks for sharing your story of Bo. Hugs and prayers to you.

Sue D said...

So sorry--I know how hard this is.

Susie said...

So sorry for you. My daughter and her family lost their "golden" on Valentine's Day, after 10 years of loyal love. To this day I cry thinking of her. She was such a wonderful friend. Sending you a big hug.

SweetMissDaisy (Anna Wight) said...

How blessed he was with your love. And how blessed you were to be able to love him. Big hugs to you.... The loss of my Mister Farley last year was the hardest loss I've known. Blessed are those who are loved by a golden.

Denise Bryant said...

So sorry to hear that you lost Bo.

Lori Craig said...

{{Jackie}} Losing a special dog is definitely a difficult pain. Sending lots of hugs and love your way!

Jackie Wamhoff said...

Thank you so much for your very kind comments, ladies. :-) Steve and I really appreciate your taking the time to write, express your sympathy, and tell us about your own beloved animal companions. Despite the sadness when losing them, I'm glad that many of you have known the joy that pets can bring!

Renee M said...

Am so sorry to read about Bo. When my husband and I were first married, we had a sweetheart of a golder retriever. She would fall asleep on the couch with 3 tennis balls in her mouth. She lived to fetch those filthy, slobbery tennis balls, so Bo not fetching was maybe a small blessing :) We lost her to cancer when she was only 9--I think goldens are prone to cancer. Bo was lucky to be with y'all, and it sounds like there are many good memories for y'all to keep of him!

Tammy C said...

So sorry for you & Steve...hugs.

Jennifer Scull said...

I am so very sorry to hear of this.... I know how very precious our 4 legged family members are to us. sending hugs to you.

Beverly S. said...

Our furry friends become such a part of our families so it is always sad and hard to say goodbye to them. I still tear up when I think of my first dog and first cat.....long gone but not forgotten. Hugs to you and yours....may loving memories bring you smiles and comfort.

Linda R. said...

Its so very hard to lose a close friend. My heart goes out to you. Watch for his shadow...I'm sure he'll still be around for you.